cheap wiring kit. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

cheap wiring kit.

Has anyone heard of this company and there wiring kit for a 69?

67-69 Chevrolet Camaro Main WIRING HARNESS chevy wire

This is from ebay...Auto This World...$374. There description of it seems great...But of coarse everyones product is the best dont you know. Just wondering if anyone has used this kit, and how does it compare to Amarican Auto wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 01:45 PM
John

Garage
Re: cheap wiring kit.

I used to use painless then went AAW and have been very happy with it in the other couple of car I have rewired.

The AAW adds courtesy lights and looks like it has few other added nice features.

I paid not much more for one last month then the price for the Ebay one posted although the one your asking about looks OK too.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Just wondering if anyone has actually attempted to install one of these. I realize AAW is the best, have heard that over and over, but $600 is alot to swollow for me right now. When I saw this cheaper one (i know cheaper is not always better) I thought great I can rewire my 69 and save a few bucks. But I wont do it if it sucks. Anyone??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 07:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

What year car are you wanting to put this in?

I also mainly use painless because all my cars I build have all kinds of extra electrical devices.

Checkout Haywire. I won a harness from gooodguys and it looks like a good kit. It is really for a street rod. The fuse block is mounted on the inside and does not have a harness that goes thru the firewall. You would have to run the harness thru the firwall under the fender. That is how I wire my cars anyway.

They also sell muscle car wiring harnesses.

www.haywireinc.com

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 07:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Spend the extra $$$$ and get the aaw.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 12, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

That was a quick answer...know sumpin I dont??Whats your reasoning?? Like I said, I know AAW is by most accounts the best, but I am still looking for someone that has ACTUALLY used this brand....Again ANYONE???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfcamaro View Post
Spend the extra $$$$ and get the aaw.

Last edited by chevysrule454; Sep 3rd, 12 at 11:18 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 03:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Just make sure they have a real good tech dept to help you with any ????
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

One thing that would make me leary is the fact that it's listed as being for a 67-69. The "factory style" harnesses that are sold by most companies have different part numbers for each year, and even AAW has a different kit for the 69 vs the 67-68, so there are obviously some differences between the years. Since this kit looks to be a "one-size-fits-all" kit, you're likely to have to play with it to make it fit your particular car.

That also doesn't look to be the factory-style fuse block, so you're not going to be able to use the factory hole in the firewall to connect the engine/front harness to the dash harness.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech

You can still catch the AAW Classic Update kit on sale with various resellers for $450 or thereabouts. Check Musclerodz , ebay. The higher prices for Update kits are retail/MRP, but you ought to be able to find a sale or a vendor who worries more about volume than every last dollar out of each kit. I just checked MuscleRodz and it looks like $529 for the kit, but Mike is a member here so maybe there is a Team Camaro discount. That or just watch for a sale for a while.

If the fuse panel on the kit shown in the OP is accurate to the kit, it looks like a "hot rod" kit. Where would you mount the fuse panel, and what would you do with the OE firewall hole. Are the wires the highest quality available, marked at regular intervals with the circuit name? Does it use hardware store connectors, or does it include every "normal" factory connector for each circuit specific to each car make? And like others asked, does the company have any tech support and how long has it been in business?

Wiring is very much one of the critical places in the car where you do not want to scrimp unless the car is a trailer queen or a race car. Even Painless, which has been around for a long time, is known for having really, really lousy tech support. If you are on a budget and want a street rod style kit like in the OP, you might as well drop down to an EZ Wire kit. For a race car or a street rod without a lot of accessories, you can get away with a very basic wiring setup, and where and how it mounts are less of a concern.

The AAW Classic Update kit is far and away the best front to back wiring kit for our cars (and others) where a factory appearance is not critical. Then again, I wrapped and routed mine such that only a guru could tell. And the directions are excellent, and tech support is great.

If you can save/reuse your existing underdash harness (and are not adding things like power windows, power seats, etc.) you'd be better off just getting the new Factory Fit plug in harnesses you need than inviting electrical headaches of an unknown, probably overseas made kit.

For those with lesser eyesight, the brand in OP is Keep It Clean. Unfortunately the search engine here won't let you use "keep" or "it". I tried "keep clean wiring" and got the error about "keep" being to common, too short, etc., and "clean wiring" got the default 16 pages of what look like mostly unrelated threads.

Darren, I think in addition to waiting for someone who has used Keep It Clean products to weigh in here, you might want to google things like "keep it clean wiring camaro" and/or "keep it clean wiring team camaro". I find that since some changes were made to the search engine here, you can actually go out to Google and find info on Team Camaro better than using the search function here. Try searching "Keep It Clean wiring quality" too, and look for results from here or HotRodders.com, or one of the other high traffic, high knowledge level forums.

Maybe it's ok? But I know that I have a buddy with a half dozen or so early 50s pickups in various stages of resto/mod, and after hearing his horror stories about EZ wire in his 50 F-1, I recommended he look at AAW Highway series for one of his 54 Chevy 3100s, and he was so happy he can't stop talking about it. He plans to yank the EZ kit out of the F-1 as soon as he can. Maybe Keep It Clean is better than EZ, but...

Make sure you ask the questions about whether there are new, high quality exact factory replacement termination connectors or generic connectors, and which factory devices (e.g., horn relay/master bus bar, voltage regulator) need to be reused. Also, make sure it is set up for normal 3-wire alternator (internal or external reg, depending which way you're going) vs. a 1-wire, and ask if it has leads for a tach, idiot lights or gauges, etc. The connector thing is very important unless you want to end up trying to reuse the factory connectors off the old harnesses (if you have them, and if the ones you have used all the right connectors you need for the direction your build is going) or buying new connectors, which gets expensive in a hurry by the piece. And knowing basically how it is set up is important because if you need to get any other new components because the kit reuses them, like the horn relay/bus bar, then the $$ saved again goes away quick.

Maybe ask in advance for a copy of a wiring diagram because some of the aftermarket/rod kits group the circuits in odd ways that are hard to make work if you still have mostly GM stuff to hook to. I know that most of my tech calls to AAW during the install of my 69 Update Kit were to discuss how the kit grouped some circuits differently than factory, and was impressed by the overall technical knowledge at AAW in that some of the new/different circuits were much improved over OE. The horn relay is in under the dash (I put mine in the center 69 flasher clip in the middle of the dash), and there is no master bus bar, and no external voltage regulator. The instructions were very clear and comprehensive, with diagrams and pictures as needed.

So, like I said, maybe someone who has used Keep It Clean is here and can offer input, but in the meantime you may want to do some more checking online. Details such as wire gage and quality, insulation composition and heat rating and abrasion resistance rating, connector style, fuse box quality and mounting, and circuit grouping really make a difference. IMO, unless you could make a really cheap kit like EZ Wire work for you, the difference between a $375 kit and a $450-$530 kit is not significant, especially when a lesser quality (than AAW) kit could leave you stranded, take forever to install, have you running around trying to source connectors, and maybe burn the car down.

Now watching Danica and Miranda Lambert in "Fastest Girl in Town" video with the ladies in a Cortez/black 69 with DX1 stripes ripping along country roads... 1st gens are just the coolest... can't wait until mine is home again.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Well...wow Eric you have given me lots to think about...and your right about having to maybe wait a long time before someone chimes in on my questions. The restoration at this point has come to a standstill until I figure this out and purchase one, and I dont want to sit around waiting. I will simply have to sell my body I guess, but I will have to arange funds to pick up the AAW kit.
Thank you all.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 08:08 PM
John

Garage

Got mine last month for under $500 shipped.

PM sent

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

That's what I thought John. I know they (AAW) have probably had some price increases since I bought mine (2005 or so, and from a vendor friend I have known for years) for $450, but I thought you could still find an Update kit for much less than retail.

And Darren, if you want you can search "painless" here and probably get a lot of threads that might mention the various kits. I don't recall seeing Keep It Clean ever come up, but maybe a search like "painless clean" might find it (since search doesn't like "keep").

The Update was pretty new for 69 Camaro when I bought mine, and since then I (and others who have used it) have been singing the Update's praises. And the tech support just can't be beat. If you get one and run into trouble, if I can't answer what you need I will steer you to the guru at AAW.

If you do the "painless" search, you will read horror stories about lack of service and either living with crappy connectors or reusing OE pieces. I know we have you pretty well sold, but I just cannot overstate how important a good kit with good tech support is.

And, if I am doing the math right, you'd be selling your body for around $130. Not sure what/who/how long you'd have to do for $130, but hopefully you can "swing" it

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech

guys i don't know what kind of aaw kit you got but mine was a lot more than 500.00.my kit was plug in & go.my under dash one was 420.00 the rs front harness was 149.00 the intermediate harness was 88.00 the rear rs tail light harness was 119.00.the engine harness was 99.00.the glove box one was 19.00 the under dash one for courtesy lights was 29.00.it was 929.00 +tax.it was close to a grand.they had one for 479 ,but you had to crimp the ends on it.it looked more like a street rod harness.Danny's rod shop has a street rod harness for around 379 & is a good one for street rods.it has all the wires labeled on the wires.if you can read its super easy to install.i bought this 6 months ago.& yes you can save 350-400.00 if you get the one you put ends on.i just wanted a harness that looked origanal.with no messy ends.I'm not good at crimping on ends.

Last edited by anthony hisle; Sep 5th, 12 at 12:36 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Thats a pretty expensive 10 minutes...lol...but seriously, found the AAW kit here for under $500 (thanx vega) and yes I am indeed sold. Where I live (3 hours North of the Canadian Amarican border, tec support takes on a whole new meaning...cant just stroll down to my local speed shop up here.
Again thanx guys...and my 69 thanx as well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
That's what I thought John. I know they (AAW) have probably had some price increases since I bought mine (2005 or so, and from a vendor friend I have known for years) for $450, but I thought you could still find an Update kit for much less than retail.

And Darren, if you want you can search "painless" here and probably get a lot of threads that might mention the various kits. I don't recall seeing Keep It Clean ever come up, but maybe a search like "painless clean" might find it (since search doesn't like "keep").

The Update was pretty new for 69 Camaro when I bought mine, and since then I (and others who have used it) have been singing the Update's praises. And the tech support just can't be beat. If you get one and run into trouble, if I can't answer what you need I will steer you to the guru at AAW.

If you do the "painless" search, you will read horror stories about lack of service and either living with crappy connectors or reusing OE pieces. I know we have you pretty well sold, but I just cannot overstate how important a good kit with good tech support is.

And, if I am doing the math right, you'd be selling your body for around $130. Not sure what/who/how long you'd have to do for $130, but hopefully you can "swing" it
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Update: Just bought the $450 aaw "update" harness...blew the budget all to hell, but hey, u only blow it once...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode