1968 396 Oil Pressure Sending Switch - Which is correct? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bob

1968 396 Oil Pressure Sending Switch - Which is correct?

Hi there,
This is my first post since joining and I've searched the other posts without success. I have a 396 V8 in my 68 Camaro and it came with 4 AutoMeter Console gauges (all electric). The oil pressure sending unit failed (aftermarket type) so I went to my Chevy dealer to get an original AC Delco unit. The first one they sold me was much larger than the second one they have now sold me. The first larger one made the Autometer gauge read backwards. When the key was turned 'on', the needle immediately pegged over to the right. The switch only has one blue wire so it can't be hooked up wrong. Now they have sold me a much smaller one (see my photobucket pics) and I'm concerned it is also wrong meaning it looks like it is meant for an idoit light instead of a gauge. Does anyone know which sending unit is correct? If neither of my pictures are correct, could you please e-mail me what the right one looks like? Thanks so very much. Something this simple turing into a nightmare. e-mail is [email protected].
http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ending%20Unit/

Bob

"Peace is a state of mind that a true muscle car violates the hell out of."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
James

Re: 1968 396 Oil Pressure Sending Switch - Which is correct?

There is no such thing as an original AC Delco unit for a 68 Camaro oil pressure gauge. Replace it with an Autometer unit to match your electric gauge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 12, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bob

Re: 1968 396 Oil Pressure Sending Switch - Which is correct?

Chevrolet says there is such a unit and it is still made in America (not China like most of the aftermarket gauges). Supposedly made for 67 through 69 Camaro with console gauges. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

Bob

"Peace is a state of mind that a true muscle car violates the hell out of."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode