Turn signals not working properly, any suggestions? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 12, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Turn signals not working properly, any suggestions?

I have a 67 camaro and I have the digitalis led taillights and the original parking lights up front. I am using one electrical flasher relay and one original style relay in the fuse panel. This worked fine for me before with no issues, I just wanted to give you a quick visual before I started.

Okay here's the issue I'm running into.

1) The hazards work fine with both, the light on or the lights off. No issues.

2) When the left turn signal is on, I get the front left signal working correctly, BUT BOTH rear lights are blinking. and the blinking seems a little fast.

3) When the right turn signal is on, I get the rear light working properly, BUT now BOTH FRONT lights are blinking. The blinking may be a little fast like this too.

Both of the flasher relays are clicking when in use. Can they go bad but still click?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 12, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Turn signals not working properly, any suggestions???

Sounds very likely to be a bad ground... bad grounds = weird things happen
Check the ground in the trunk that screws to the side of the brace that holds the trunk catch..
Do any of the bulbs , or the old ones have sort of 'silvering' inside the glass or a slight milky look to them....this idicates bad grounds...bad grounds = resistance. resistance = bigger current draw and since the ground is after the bulb, this bigger current is drawn thru the bulb, which results in the filiments operating too hot and vapourise slowly onto the inside of the bulb glass.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 12, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

I thought ground too at first.

I had the whole passenger fender off, while installing a vintage air unit but then I put it back on. I actually forgot the ground for the front parking light, before I posted, and figured, okay solved it. But no, it didn't. So that's why I'm searching for help.

Once again, all lights work when the lights are on and hazards work fine

Btw, my car is a rs too, so the front lights are in the valance and the rear backups are below the bumper, by themselves. Not sure if this makes any difference?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 12, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

You know, I am not using the aww 500832 flasher with my LEDs. I went to the store and found an electric flasher that used the same 2 prongs and tried that out instead. It's worked for the last 2 years so I don't think it's that, BUT the one aww sells has an extra ground wire that comes out of it, and the one I have does not.

Here's the one I have:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=193129_0_0_

Is it important to have the one with the ground?
Am I doing any damage using the one I matched up at the store with out the ground?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 12, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Try a 552 heavy duty flasher.
Since both ends are flashing, front & rear, when a side is selected, this means the selected side has a bad ground. The selected side is using the opposite side filaments as a ground.
If you do get a flasher with a ground wire, yes, connect the lead to ground.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 12, 09:06 PM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

You have a 24 volt flasher in there which really shouldn't work, but by your descriptions it does, so I wouldn't change it. If you decide to change it, use an EL12 or an LL552. If you use a standard 552 (tin can flasher) I expect you will get no flash due to not enough current draw. You are not doing any damage with the flasher you have.

I agree with the others that it sounds like a grounding issue.

FWIW I work at the company that makes the flashers.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 12, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w View Post
You have a 24 volt flasher in there which really shouldn't work, but by your descriptions it does, so I wouldn't change it. If you decide to change it, use an EL12 or an LL552. If you use a standard 552 (tin can flasher) I expect you will get no flash due to not enough current draw. You are not doing any damage with the flasher you have.

I agree with the others that it sounds like a grounding issue.

FWIW I work at the company that makes the flashers.
Great! Then maybe you can help me out with this question.

If a flasher goes bad, could it possibly click like it's working and/or could it do what I'm explaining?

I checked the ground to the rear led lights and even re-ground them to an additional area (double grounding) and I didnt get any different results. The only grounding areas would be at the lights themselves, right? There's no other areas under the dash that I could of affected while doing the AC setup, right?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As a troubleshooting guide, use a 12 volt flasher, as RW suggests, the LL552.
Put a jumper on each terminal, one terminal to BAT spade of fuse panel, the other jumper to each individual turn signal wire of the disconnected steering connector.

See if each corner will flash. If not, troubleshoot the corner socket, generally a ground.
Rear lights ground through the socket to the bezel to the tail panel.
Front lights ground through a pigtail to the rad support.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
As a troubleshooting guide, use a 12 volt flasher, as RW suggests, the LL552.
Put a jumper on each terminal, one terminal to BAT spade of fuse panel, the other jumper to each individual turn signal wire of the disconnected steering connector.

See if each corner will flash. If not, troubleshoot the corner socket, generally a ground.
Rear lights ground through the socket to the bezel to the tail panel.
Front lights ground through a pigtail to the rad support.
I think I am gonna go and buy a new flasher as he suggests and go from there.

Btw, my rear lights are not regular incandescent bulbs, they are the LEDs back there. They no longer ground at the sockets holes. The LEDs have a ground wire that I grounded right to one of the bolts that hold the bezel to the body, so i cant see that not grounding properly, but I still tested it anyway.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Turn signals not working properly, any suggestions?

You might move the ground lead from the bezel nut to the fuel filler cover screw on the pass side, already a ground lead there, I think, plus, it has a toothed lock washer.

'
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

So is it possible that a flasher relay will click like it's working but really is not functioning properly?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, the 512 flasher relies on the load, meaning the number of bulbs, determines the rate of flashing, one side corner bulbs and the dash indicator - add a fourth bulb or change an 1156 to another number, and flashing rate changes.

Flasher 552 is heavy duty and is internallt timed independent of load. Used in trailer applications as it can handle up to at least 6 bulbs and rate does not change, whether one bulb or six bulbs.

The flasher you are using may not be able to handle the load now since the rear bulbs have been replaced with high impedance LEDS (less current load).

'
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have a flasher unit I put in yrs ago, given to me by a auto sparkie.
It works and flashes at the same speed regardles if have the trailer on or a couple bulbs have blown...
Maybe one of those is what is required?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 07:01 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady350 View Post
So is it possible that a flasher relay will click like it's working but really is not functioning properly?
Sorry I was off the board for a few days. Normally if the flasher is clicking it is working, in particular since your lights are flashing, just not the right way. Give me a bit to dig through some old posts, I remember one where LED modules were back feeding...

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 09:56 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Look at this post and check the grounds on your front turn housings:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...70#post1663470

I don't think your flashers are bad. I looked at the digitails instructions and don't understand what is happening in the back, but in the front it could be a ground for sure. I don't have the wiring diagram handy to see if the front could also be causing what you see in the back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode