Totally dead - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Totally dead

I drove the car then parked it. It ran fine. An hour later, I went to start it and it's totally dead. Not even a click or a movement othe ammeter gauge. I pulled the battery and had it checked, but it's OK. I've put a charger on it. but there's not a sign of life -- no clicking or anything. I've checked the fuses and found the taillight fuse (20A) was blown and I replaced it. The only thing I touched after driving it was to replace a taillight bulb. anyone have a thought or an idea how to trouble shoot?

'69 375/396 TR 711 71 06A X22D80
LeMans Blue
'55 Chev PU Napco (Original)
350 Bright Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 07:32 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Totally dead

Do the headlights come on? Is other stuff out or just no start?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Check your fusible links at the battery and junction post behind the battery.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

Does the car have the backdrive linkage from the trans to the column intact and adjusted correctly? I ask because it was a new for 69 safety feature that required that an auto be in park and a manual in reverse before the key could be rotated back to off to remove it. Many, many cars had the backdrive discarded when headers were installed, trans changed, whatever. Later someone buys the car and doesn't know anything is missing.

If no backdrive, and if the tab at the end of the column isn't secured in the correct position, the inner column can rotate and move the column mounted NSS to a position where it won't trigger the ignition.

So, this is one of the first things I ask about for a 69 model that suddenly won't crank. If the car was modified by a previous owner, a new owner might not know. If you know your NSS or clutch safety switch is installed correctly and functioning OK, then ignore this step.

Troubleshooting is going to require a multimeter and another person (if you have a multimeter with long enough leads, it can be done solo). Normally you'd begin at the starter connections. Disconnect the battery, and then get under the car and make sure the large gage battery cable is connected and clean on the main lug. Then inspect the purple wire (and yellow, if your car still has all OE wiring) connected to the "S" terminal. Once the battery power cable has been confirmed to be connected and not burned through or something and not badly corroded, you would want to have that battery feed wire connected and connect the red multimeter lead to the S terminal where the purple and yellow wires are attached. If you drop the red lead down from the top of the engine, and prop the meter up on the air cleaner or cowl, someplace you can see it from the driver seat, and just connect the black lead to the fender ground or any other point within reach that can be a good ground.

Go back topside, and look at the battery to engine ground wire, and make sure the end is connected and in good condition, etc.). If the ground is good, reconnect the positive and ground terminals at the battery,

Turn key to the start position and confirm you have 12V on the purple wire to the starter. If no voltage, then you'll be going inside the car to check the NSS/clutch safety switch and/or the ignition switch. If you have 12V to the S terminal, you'll be replacing the starter or solenoid.

But like I said at first, if your car is modified and missing the backdrive, it may be as simple as gripping the lower column housing near where it meets the dash and rotating counterclockwise to trick the system into thinking the car is in park. But normally, if the column isn't in the right spot, you can't pull the key out of the lock cylinder.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good suggestions given. If you have no lights or accessories, as David suggests, check all the connections from the positive battery post to the horn realy buss bar.

The electrical system power lead connects here and so does the battery. Remove negative battery cable, then remove all red leads and wire brush them and the buss bar - don't forget the battery junction block, reinstall red leads.

If you have lights, then follow Eric's suggestions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 06:46 AM
Guess

Automatic or manual?
If it's an auto with console shifter, try shifting it in and out of Park a few times. Run it through the gears and hit it hard into Park.
The neutral safety switch may need adjusting. I have the same issue... left me stranded at the grocery store a couple months ago.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 08:56 PM
Tech Team
Don

I had this same experience last year. We drove to a restaurant...no problems at all. Went in and ate, came out and nothing...absolutely nothing. Did a spark test on battery, that was not the problem.
Called AAA and the driver was a master mechanic. In just about 90 seconds, he said the ignition switch was burned up. Said he would be back in a few minutes and was back with a new ignition switch, installed it and we were good. All he wanted was the money for the switch, but I made him take a hundred.

49 Redhead (First Joy)

69 X-11; 383 Stroker/TH350; GearVendor; Moser 3:73; ...Second Joy

1950 Chevy Panel Delivery, 350/TH350 RestoMod.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Thank you for all the replies and help! I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet. The car is manual transmission. nothing on the car works -- headlights or brake lights, as well as the ignition. I'll check the fusable links and start with the steps described by Eric. That's really helpful -- gives me a place to start. I'll post what I find tomorrow, afterwork. Thanks again for the help!

Bill

'69 375/396 TR 711 71 06A X22D80
LeMans Blue
'55 Chev PU Napco (Original)
350 Bright Yellow
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 05:33 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

If you are getting juice to the starter and the ignition switch powers accessories by key moving through run and on to start position I would say check the neutral safety switch first.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by braber427 View Post
nothing on the car works -- headlights or brake lights, as well as the ignition. Bill
Check battery junction block and horn relay buss bar. The red wires do corrode and no power goes through the connection.
Have to ask - battery charged? Clean posts and clamps?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 12, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Check the battery ground connection both at the battery and at the starter.Make sure it is tight.I had a similar problem with my car and that is what it was.The terminal at the battery "looked" fine but was not tight.It is a long shot,but some times it is something simple.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode