No Brake Lights, 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

No Brake Lights, 69

I'm 95% completed with a frame off restoration on a 69. I now have all my electrical components working except the brake lights. Some notes:

1) Again, everything else is working. Headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc

2) I removed the connector from the switch at the pedal and the orange wire is hot

3) The switch itself tested good

4) I ran a jumber between the two terminals in the connector (that connects to the switch) and still no brake lights

5) Since the tail-lights work I obviously have good ground to the bulbs

6) The yellow wire to the driver's side bulb and the green wire to the passenger side are both dead no matter the testing tried up to this point

What should I test or do next? Is there an inline fuse or somthing at the fuse panel I can check?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: No Brake Lights, 69

Turn signal switch.
It is possible for the turn signals to work, but not the brake lights. Try another turn signal switch. You don't have to fully install it. Just plug it in.

PS Not sure WTH Nauman is talking about.

Lynn
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Turn signal switch.
It is possible for the turn signals to work, but not the brake lights. Try another turn signal switch. You don't have to fully install it. Just plug it in.
Bilo,..turn signal switch? In the steering column (I suppose)? Enlighten me. Do I pull the steering wheel? What am I looking for? What am I replacing. Thanks for your help!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Emergency flashers use the same circuitry.
No flashers, bad turn signal switch.
You can jumper the jumper the brake switch and wiggle the t/signal handle to see if lights come on. The heavy handle does wear out the bushing in the switch and causes the contacts to open up.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 08:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I know you probably checked but Stop & Hazard have their own fuse. Tail lights will still work. Might be worth a check.

Nevermind, I see the orange wire on brake sw was hot.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

Last edited by madmax87; Oct 21st, 12 at 08:36 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Bilo,..turn signal switch? In the steering column (I suppose)? Enlighten me. Do I pull the steering wheel? What am I looking for? What am I replacing. Thanks for your help!
The brake lights go thru the T/S sw so when you step on the brakes and are turning the one side flashes and the other is Brake light. I would get another T/S sw and just plug it in under dash before I took the sterring column all apart to replace. Just my .02

Jeff
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Emergency flashers use the same circuitry.
No flashers, bad turn signal switch.
You can jumper the jumper the brake switch and wiggle the t/signal handle to see if lights come on. The heavy handle does wear out the bushing in the switch and causes the contacts to open up.
Emergency flashers work fine. Would that mean the turn signal switch is good?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
The brake lights go thru the T/S sw so when you step on the brakes and are turning the one side flashes and the other is Brake light. I would get another T/S sw and just plug it in under dash before I took the sterring column all apart to replace. Just my .02

Jeff
Big Jeff,..see my post above to Everett. Should I still try another turn signal switch?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 12, 09:58 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

When the emergency flashers are on and you hit the brake do the lights stop flashing and the brake lights come on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 06:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Big Jeff,..see my post above to Everett. Should I still try another turn signal switch?
If the T/S work on the rear I would purchase and plug in another switch. I've never checked the Hazard operation on a car with a bad T/S switch causing no brake lights. If the T/S and hazards work on the rear then the circuits from the switch and the bulbs are good to the rear.

Have you checked the white wire at the T/S switch for power with the brake light switch jumpered?

If the power is on the white at the T/S sw there's not much else it can be except The T/S Sw.

Jeff
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
When the emergency flashers are on and you hit the brake do the lights stop flashing and the brake lights come on?
Interesting test,..I'll check tonight and report back
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
If the T/S work on the rear I would purchase and plug in another switch. I've never checked the Hazard operation on a car with a bad T/S switch causing no brake lights. If the T/S and hazards work on the rear then the circuits from the switch and the bulbs are good to the rear.

Have you checked the white wire at the T/S switch for power with the brake light switch jumpered?

If the power is on the white at the T/S sw there's not much else it can be except The T/S Sw.

Jeff
Big Jeff,..are you saying I should pull the steering wheel and test continuity through the white wire from the connector (for the brake pedal switch) to the turn signal switch? Or is there an easier way? Thanks again!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Is this the part you folks believe could be faulty:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-t...lumn-1969.html

Never messed with it before but I'm scared of nothing. Is the part in the steering column below turn signal cam/cancellor (that the turn signal lever attaches)?

Thanks again!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

That's the part. You can get one @ your local auto parts for about half of what Rick's wants.

You might try putting your test light on the yellow and green wires as they exit the t/s switch just to be sure. There is also a plug connector in the trunk for the rear light harness, but it would be a longshot if only those two were faulty.

Just for the heck of it pull both flashers and see if that has any effect.

Replacing the t/s switch isn't really a very fun job.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 12, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

I just went through this over the weekend.

1. Disconnect the turn signal switch from the rear harness. This is a flat connector on the steering column.

2. With the ignition OFF place on the rear body harness connector place a jumper between the white and dark green wire. The right brake lights should light up. Placing a jumper between the white and yellow wires operates the left side brake
lights.

If the lights work the problem is in the turn signal switch and wiring harness. If not the problem is in the rear body harness, which doesn't sound likely given the original post.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode