Unexpected dash warning light illumination - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 12, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Unexpected dash warning light illumination

Last night while running an errand, the dash warning lamps for temp, generator and fuel all unexpectedly came on. The car had only been running for three mins, so it wasn't overheating, the fuel gauge still displayed a correct level, and as near as I could tell from visual indicators ie dim dashlights/headlights, the system wasn't discharging. The car has console gauges with the low fuel sender, new American Autowire harnesses, and I have wired in the temp light on the dash to work as a back-up to the temp gauge. The wire to the coolant sensor in the cylinder heads was not hooked up as the sender does not have the correct resistance to accurately run the gauge and light in tandem. I haven't gotten around to installing two separate sensors, but that's a job for another day. Anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
Thanks
Todd

69 Camaro, 384, AFR 195 Eliminators, Jessel shaft rockers, Comp hyd roller, 545/555, 230/236 @ .050, 110 LSA, Dynatech, Eagle forged rotating assembly, 74 L82 block, factory Z-28 intake, MSD digital ignition, 10.25 compression, 3:73 12 bolt, RS500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 12, 06:17 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: unexpected dash warning light illumination

Voltage Regulator should be tested and check the connection harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 12, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Re: Unexpected dash warning light illumination

Swapped in a regulator I had lying around and checked the connections. No change. Still scratching my head.

69 Camaro, 384, AFR 195 Eliminators, Jessel shaft rockers, Comp hyd roller, 545/555, 230/236 @ .050, 110 LSA, Dynatech, Eagle forged rotating assembly, 74 L82 block, factory Z-28 intake, MSD digital ignition, 10.25 compression, 3:73 12 bolt, RS500.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 12, 02:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm not sure how you wired the light and guage together for the temp. I would run them as two seperate circuits except for the hot(ign) wire. With that said is it possible the wire that is supposed to go to the sender is grounded underhood by laying on a hot manifold or something?

Jeff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 12, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

I thought about that, but when I checked it, no dice. I have a feeling I'm going to have to dig for this one.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Jeff suggests, temp light needs its own temp switch and temp gauge needs its own temp sensor. The two circuits should never be connected together other than input power.

If GEN light came on, and the charging system is equipped with an external regulator, alternator terminal R supplies VR relay voltage thus turning off the GEN light. No voltage, GEN light on.

Have you measured:
1. alternator BATT stud voltage to ground? Should not be less than 13.8 volts at 2000 rpm.
2. Voltage across battery posts? Should not be less than 13.5 volts at 2000 rpm.
If above measurements are battery voltage, and the VR has been changed, then alt could be bad, or belt slipping.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

I would check the cluster ground first.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Hmmm. Gauge fuse was blown and instantly blows when replacement is installed. Dead short somewhere.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Buy a couple boxes of fuses. Unplug console harness and see if fuse blows.
If it does not, then disconnect each gauge input power, pink wire, by itself and insert new fuse.
The previous circuit opened from no fuse blown is the faulty circuit.
If fuse blows with console disconnected, go from fuse panel to pink wire. should be an open to ground when measure with an ohmmeter.
Could also be a shorted warning bulb. Easy enough to check.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

I unplugged the console and the temp and fuel warning lights went out, however, the generator light stayed on. Replaced the fuse and it still instantly blows. Voltage at the battery is 12.9, and at the batt post on the alt it reads the same.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 12, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Voltage measured across the battery with the car running is 18 Volts DC. Seems pretty high. Too high?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 12, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, too high. You might try an electronic VR, Wells P/N VR715.

'
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 12, 05:15 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt14spd View Post
Last night while running an errand, the dash warning lamps for temp, generator and fuel all unexpectedly came on. The car had only been running for three mins, so it wasn't overheating, the fuel gauge still displayed a correct level, and as near as I could tell from visual indicators ie dim dashlights/headlights, the system wasn't discharging. The car has console gauges with the low fuel sender, new American Autowire harnesses, and I have wired in the temp light on the dash to work as a back-up to the temp gauge. The wire to the coolant sensor in the cylinder heads was not hooked up as the sender does not have the correct resistance to accurately run the gauge and light in tandem. I haven't gotten around to installing two separate sensors, but that's a job for another day. Anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
Thanks
Todd
Have you ever used led lights as dash lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode