Battery Life on Battery Tender? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 12, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Battery Life on Battery Tender?

Hi Guys,

I have 4 batteries connected to Battery Tenders and have never had any issues with them, been doing this for 6 or 7 years ...

I noticed a couple days back one of the batteries dropped down under 90% for no apparent reason and today it was down under 3 volts.

Pulled the battery and hooked it up to my charger and it charged right up, but then as soon as I took it off of the charger, the volts dropped extremely, extremely fast ...

So, looks like I either have a bad battery or a bad battery tender ...

How long have you guys gotten out of your batteries when on a tender?

'95 383 CAMARO Z28 - C.A.M. BUILT/TUNED
405 RWHP/428 RWTQ (SAE DynoJet)
'99 CORVETTE
'68 CAMARO - 383+D1SC, Orion Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 12, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Battery Life on Battery Tender?

Sounds like a battery with an internal short. It's a common way to fail. I replaced a 6 y/o battery this summer that spent most of it's like on a tender. It still tested fine, but 6 years is a good run.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 12, 06:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I just replaced a six year old battery that was connected to a Battery Tender during down time. The tender would charge the battery, but would never go from the yellow "charging'' light to the green "charged" light. It never did that in the past,so I had the battery tested. The battery would charge and showed 13.5 volts but the cranking amps were only 215 when it was supposed to be 700. It was also pretty obvious that something was up because the starter was struggling to turn the motor over. Sounds like you have a bad battery.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 12, 06:28 AM
Guess

The cells gather crystaline buildup on them preventing charging. I forget what it's called.
There's ways to rescue a battery like that, but it's not safe.

If you want to test the Tender, just put it on a different battery and see if it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 12, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Sulfided, I believe, and the way to remove is get the battery hot by either heavy use or heavy recharge - get the electrolyte boiling.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 12, 08:28 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

this was the 7th year for the battery in my 68 using the Battery Tender through the winter

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 12, 05:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aaron

Wish my battery tender would've lasted 7 years. I've tried 2. One made it about 3 or 4 months, then bricked. Thought I got a dud, so tried again. That one lasted even less.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 12, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgDavao View Post
Wish my battery tender would've lasted 7 years. I've tried 2. One made it about 3 or 4 months, then bricked. Thought I got a dud, so tried again. That one lasted even less.
That happened to my dad, he sent it to Battery tender, they tested it and sent him another one free of charge. This ones going on a little over a year.

I use a Ctec 7200. It will flash a trouble code when it suspends charging and the voltage drops too fast. It also has a desulfation mode, an AGM mode and, maintains 4 90 amp batteries on my Peterbilt tractor. Very happy with it.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 12, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aaron

Thanks for the info on the Ctec. I may have to give them a try. I would love to be able to send my battery tenders back, but shipping both ways would basically cost more than the whole unit was new, so unfortunately that's not an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode