Good battery - no power - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via AIM to robe9000
Good battery - no power

Stumped on this one. 1969 camaro SS. Rewired the car two years ago with an AAW kit and have had great results. Drive the car all the time. Come out the other day and no power on key turn. First time, the starter clicked once and it's been dead ever since. No lights, no clicks, no nothing. 13.7 volts at battery. One wire alternator, AAW under dash horn relay, no voltage regulator. Have started tracing wires yet, not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks!

robe9000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------------------------------------
'69 SS350 Cortez Silver Black Stripes
New TH350, 383 Vortec Stroker, E-brock 178 cc Aluminm Heads
E-brock Air Gap Manifold, Mallory, Holley yada yada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 09:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: Good battery - no power

Have you checked any fuses and fusible links yet? Battery terminals and connections?

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 10:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Check your battery for amps. I had a bettery that showed good voltage but it only had 10 amps so it wouldn't crank.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Battery connections are good. Fuse box is good. Haven't checked fusible links yet. The ignition is and Mallory HEI witha Mallory Hyfire Box - BTW.

robe9000

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 12:39 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Could be the neutral safety switch. Jiggle the shifter or jumper across it. Could also be the ign switch. Could be lotsa things, but that's where I'd start looking. A test light will help you diagnose - start at the S terminal on the solenoid and work back toward the battery.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 04:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Do your lights and everything else work? Is it just not cranking over?

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Power from the firewall to the inside is split, one leg to headlamp switch, the other leg to ignition switch, two parallel circuits.
You have no lights whatsoever, but battery measures good, at the posts.
Measure from the post to the clamp about the post.
If you read battery voltage, then clamp and post are dirty in their connection.

If the connection is clean, then follow the power lead from the battery - junction block? and continue searching for the open connection until lights come on. Once you find this open, I wager ignition & start will come back.
Battery to junction block to horn relay buss bar to two places, alternator BATT stud, and to firewall connector. Look at HR buss bar, disconnect and wire brush all, reassemble.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Excellent advice everyone. I'll try to address everyone in one post:

1. No lights, no interior lights, no cranking
2. The ignition switch is less that two years old but I'll certainly check it - I presume there's a thread on here somewhere on the best plan for doing that.
3. The headlight switch is a good culprit
4. Neutral safety switch is a good thought too - jiggled the shifter considerably trying to start and nothing but may need to take it all apart to do a better job.
5. Good point on the amps for the battery - was pissed at first so forgot that one.

I'm gonna try to cover off some of this tonight and tomorrow night - I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the help!

robe9000

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 08:12 AM
Art

Based on what you have posted, I would say its the quick disconnect wire that is hooked up to the starter. I had the same problem and baffled me for days. I too used American auto wire. It was a faulty connection, I didn't solder the wire.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 12:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I'm with Everett. Horn relay buss bar.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

We never got an answer to does he have headlights? Put a test light on the battery and watch what it does when you turn the key.

alan
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 12, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
topher

He has the classic update 1 wire alt. with no main splice and no external voltage reg. Horn relay is under dash.

69 plain jane 383,TKO 600, 10 bolt mono 3.08 w/caltracs, TT2's 17"x9.5 rear 17'x7 fr. Goodyear F1 275/40/zr17,215/45/zr17.QA1 coil over. Speed tech uca/lca. March ultra serp.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 12, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Still, just the same, the Camaro has a power lead going into the interior powering accessories/circuits needed. Follow the lead.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 12, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

You guys are awesome. Sorry for the no replies. Have had to work late this week and haven't been able to get back to the car. When I get to it, I'll be sure to share my findings! Sorry to leave y'all hangin'.

robe9000

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 12, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

I am having a case of foggy DejaVu on this one. I kind of remember in 1975 as a 16 year old driving my sisters 69 camaro to the bank. Went in and made my deposit, when I came out I got nothing when I turned the key. Nothing. My dad and I worked on that one for quite a few hours. Turned out to be the thin little wire that came from the battery cable connection had gotten corrosion inside the vinyl covering and eaten away the wire. Everything looked good except a tiny fat spot in the wire right there. Moral of the story..........Start at the battery with a volt meter and check every connection back until you find it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical problems, no power, shorts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode