Dash gauge cluster question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 12, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Dash gauge cluster question

I have a 67 that i got about 2 months ago. The guy before me did the restoration. He put in the painless wiring system and in the dash he put the autometer gauges (2 larger and 4 smaller gauges).
While it is cool and I know not cheap, I kind of like the original gauges better (for nostalgic reasons). He gave me the original dash gauge panel, so I already have it. The car is not all original, nor is it a #'s matching car.

My question is would I have to rewire just for the original gauges (tach/speedo) and is it possible seeing I have a painless wiring system in the car, or would a major rewiring have to take place? (new technology wiring vs. old original wiring/harnesses)

I also have the 3 gauges under the dash in the center under the radio, but I can/will leave that.

I figured I 'd ask the electrical pros here in this forum, as I am FAR from one!

Thanks!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 12, 05:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Dash gauge cluster question

All things are possible but you need to know if it is standard harness or custom hooks but in theory you just move the connections you have to the right connectors for the originals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 12, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

How would I know if it's standard or not?
Are you saying I might be able to simply disconnect the wire from the autometer tach and connect it to the original stock one??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 12, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ron View Post
How would I know if it's standard or not?
Are you saying I might be able to simply disconnect the wire from the autometer tach and connect it to the original stock one??
I forgot to mention there is an MSD box as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 12, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Probably best to look at the back of the Autometer gauges and if possible post some pictures. If the speedo is mechanical (ie: cable drive) like the OE and everything else is electric (tach, oil, temp,fule) then the conversion back to OE should be straight forward.

My 2c's on gauges, maybe look at replacing the two OE's with larger 5" after market like others here have done. It gives a somewhat old school look but with better gauges. That's what I plan to do one day.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 12, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Probably best to look at the back of the Autometer gauges and if possible post some pictures. If the speedo is mechanical (ie: cable drive) like the OE and everything else is electric (tach, oil, temp,fule) then the conversion back to OE should be straight forward.

My 2c's on gauges, maybe look at replacing the two OE's with larger 5" after market like others here have done. It gives a somewhat old school look but with better gauges. That's what I plan to do one day.
All the gauges are electric, if that helps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 12, 06:43 PM
John

Garage

You will also need a speedo cable if you go back to the OEM type.

You can download the painless instructions. Tells you how to do it

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vVQyCT8p14kehw

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 12, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech

I love having to go out to google because can't search "pcb" here anymore.

Does the stock cluster you were given have all the parts, or just a bezel?

The linked thread shows the rear of the 67 OE cluster, along with its printed circuit board (pcb). On the upper right of the back of the pcb, behind the speedo, is a rectangular hole. An OE plug on the OE wiring harness hooked into this pcb, and the pcb then carried the electricity to the various lights, tach, etc. so you'd need to get the OE plug, and insert the correct wires from the painful harness into the correct locations in the plug. Not impossible, but the pcb used on the 67-68 clusters makes it less straightforward.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1737432

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 12, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
I love having to go out to google because can't search "pcb" here anymore.

Does the stock cluster you were given have all the parts, or just a bezel?

The linked thread shows the rear of the 67 OE cluster, along with its printed circuit board (pcb). On the upper right of the back of the pcb, behind the speedo, is a rectangular hole. An OE plug on the OE wiring harness hooked into this pcb, and the pcb then carried the electricity to the various lights, tach, etc. so you'd need to get the OE plug, and insert the correct wires from the painful harness into the correct locations in the plug. Not impossible, but the pcb used on the 67-68 clusters makes it less straightforward.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1737432
The back of my cluster looks very similar to the one in the first pic in that thread....Does that help at all?
I have a clock and a speedometer. I'd want a tach instead of the clock if I do this swap.

Last edited by Dr.Ron; Dec 13th, 12 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode