Original wire harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Danny

Original wire harness

Hey guys,

Here's a pic of my 68's original wire harness. Getting ready to re-install the wiring and I'm wondering what my options are and what people normally go with for wire harness. Clean it up and reuse it (I'm guessing no since it is over 40 years old) or trash it and find something aftermarket?

Last edited by sierra1boy; May 25th, 16 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage
Re: Original wire harness

Picture didn't post. If you want to keep your car original, I would use an American Autowire harness.

1968 Rally Sport
302ci
Muncie M22
Moser 12-bolt 4:10 posi
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
Daniel

Get the Factory Fit from American Auto Wire and they are identical to your harness. It's a plug and play job. These wiring harness' are spot on to replace old wiring with. I replaced every wire on my car. Can't afford not to when you compare loss of your car from a fire VS cost to replace wiring harness.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

Last edited by TModel66; Dec 16th, 12 at 08:31 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 07:56 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I don't trust 40 plus year old insulation on wiring harnesses. It was stressed when it was removed and will again when reinstalled. Why risk it? American Auto Wire's Factory fit line is OEM correct connectors and colors to keep it original. If your ride is modified American Auto Wire has a line for you called the classic update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Mar 8th, 15 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Tongue trip
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I have my original harness in a 67, it works well. If you do replace yours don't throw out the original, it has some good connectors and stuff you or someone else could use at one time or another.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180į Headers

black/black
no radio
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 08:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
I have my original harness in a 67, it works well. If you do replace yours don't throw out the original, it has some good connectors and stuff you or someone else could use at one time or another.
I was beginning to think I was the only one to use my original harness. My car has only 60,000 miles and garaged all it's life. When I had the harnesses out I carefully checked them for hard and cracked insulation and also took all the connectors apart and check their condition.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

To each his own. Both of my '68s have their original harness'. As long as it's still pliable and you clean the contacts, I don't see a problem. I also make sure there's a fusable link in the accessory/charge line.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Danny

For those of you that used your original wire harness. What did you do if you did find a hard dried out area. Can you repair that?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 01:29 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

No, any wiring that's hard needs to be replaced. If it's just one or a few wires, they could be replaced individually and the harness re-wrapped.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Since the harness is out and a new one is minimal cost I'd change it out and if you go to my build thread I have many examples of a few things to change that are not correct and stand out as not being correct. Most obvious to change are the white plugs for the headlights as the originals are brown and the alternator hot wire rubber boot. Change those and she will look the part. Check out page 54 post 798! Searching that thread has many examples for wiring including how to change out the headlight white plugs to the correct brown ones. Also, my harness had repairs so for me it was a no brainer. Oh, and yes, go with American Auto Wires original fit. They are #1 and have great service. Good luck!
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...182584&page=54

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

AAW .. all the way

Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

I installed all new M Parker Autoworks Harnesses in my 68 Camaro back in 1986.
M Parker Autoworks became Factory Fit and is now American Autowire.
My Dad is the original owner and the wiring looked pretty rough when I was given the Camaro. Since new, the car had a short that nobody could find. When the warranty expired, my Dad was basically told by Chevrolet that he was on his own. When I got the car, the dash harness, engine harness and rear light harnesses were a mess. I saved my money and bought all new harnesses except for the dome light harness and the dash harness. There was no way I was taking down the original perfect headliner for the dome light harness. The dash harness wasn't available new yet, so I sent my original to M Parker Autoworks to be rebuilt. Almost 30 years later, I have never had any more trouble with a battery being drained because of a short. Now the new wiring is in the car longer than the original wiring. I wonder if I will have to change it down the road? The Camaro has been in a garage since 1985, so I hope that it will be OK for a long time.
To the OP. Contact American Autowire. You will not be sorry.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I replaced the front light harness, and reworked/repaired the others. The under-hood wiring takes quite a beating over the years. So does the trunk harness as most of these old beaters have leaky trunks.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 09:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

As long as the insulation on the wires is pliable your old harness will work perfectly. Wires can be replaced as someone else noted and so can connectors. I will reuse all my original wiring. I did buy a repro fuse box and it is a honey. Perfect!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 10:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Depends on your goal. You could unwrap, inspect, repair, and rewrap the old harness for ultimate originality. However, nearly 50yrs is a lot of wear and tear and a short isn't just an inconvenience in some places. The AAW is great quality and uses GXL wire which is markedly more heat resistant. If you're not a numbers-matching guy, the classic update is cheaper and allows you some freedom to modify (like add relays, internally regulated alternator, HEI or efi, gauges) if you want to as it isn't prewrapped with insulation. Personally, I considered it cheap insurance over losing my car to an electrical fire.

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode