Electrical help. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wayne

Electrical help.

I just started here. Dont know how to start a new post.
But... This is why I signed up...

1967 Camaro,
Dash lights went out, then brake, running, and blinkers went soon after. Fuses all got replaced just to be sure, still nothing. Found a Yellow wire pinched between steering column and dash. "cant find where the wire is supposed to be connected." After reliving the pinched wire still nothing. I then replaced the headlight switch and still nothing. I then proceeded to jump a wire from the "red" hot wire to the running light lead on the harness and got my lights back. Did the same with brakes and got power there also. I then changed out the switch with three other light switches yet still no luck. I pull the nob and only get my headlights. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 06:26 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Electrical help.

Wayne I pulled your post out of the thread it was in because it made no sense where it was...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wayne

OK. I get it now. Thank you.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 08:09 PM
Chuck

I'm no expert but I have worked through a lot of wiring issues in the last month. I bought a wiring diagram from one of the internet Camaro parts dealers (sorry I don't remember the site) says its made by "classic car wiring", and it has been a huge help. It is a laminated card a little bigger than a legal pad. I had various problems, fuses, bulbs, bad wire splices etc. Hopefully yours is a simple problem and someone will come along with a fix for you, but I would look into a wiring diagram to have around. With the wiring diagram and a test light I was able to make sure I had power at the switch before replacing the switch. On my car the marker lights were on a different fuse than the headlights. My car is a 68 so the wiring may be different. Maybe you have a harness connector coming loose under the dash, or someone has done some bad splicing somewhere along the way.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 10:53 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

This should get you started.

You can join over at Jim's FirstGens site, he is a member here as well. http://firstgens.com site. Once a member download the full set from the downloads directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charging details.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	31425  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf power_distribution.unlocked.pdf (48.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf Lights - Head, Park, Tail.pdf (35.1 KB, 84 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Wayne.
I will suggest the following, after using Brian's diagrams, I would say the dash crimp of the red wire(s) from the firewall connector, may be corroded, since you jumpered power.

Another place to look, is the horn relay buss bar. remove the wire terminations and wire braush everything, reassemble.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Wayne

Ok Awesome! Thank you. Wire diagram is next.

I pulled power from hot lead on the headlight switch plug where it connects to the switch. I got 12.6 volts at the hot lead there, and then 12.6 volts at the tail lights after the jumper connection.
it seems to be a problem at the switch yet I have used three known working switches and still nothing.
Thanks for your replies.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Brake, turn signals get their own individual power from the fuse panel.
Dash lights from h/lamp switch.
Turn signal indicators are tagged from front turn lights at firewall connector.
You might check instrument cluster ground in between the two pods.
It may have came loose.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Have you check any bulbs to see if they are burned??

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

do you have power at the fuse panel and have you check all the grounds

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wayne

OK... Found some ground issues.

1) Does my dash cluster have to be hooked up for rear lights to operate?

I found the brake light fuse readings were surging from 11 volts then to 0.0 volts then to 10 volts off and on with no consistency. I hooked a battery charger up and the readings began to surge from 12 volts to 0 volts in rhythm.
Rear running lights randomly worked once again until I pressed the brakes. Never seen them again. NOTE: Blinkers work.

Re grounding will be finished tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 12, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

check the small negative - wire at the battery see that it has a good ground to the fender.
Merry Christmas

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 12, 08:28 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Also check these items one by one....
https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...or_support.htm

Main Splice, Junction block and Voltage Regulator are key bridges to the electrical system. Also look for damaged fusible links they will be discolored and crunchy. If I remember right 67-68 Voltage Regulators had their own ground straps to the shroud.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 12, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wayne

Found some ground issues. Fixed them and everything started working again. Ran the car for a few minutes then they went out again. Brake dummy light started blinking.

All my grounds are solid. Anything?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Blinking BRAKE light could be a misadjusted parking brake switch at the parking brake pedal. All the grounds you've done can be protected somewhat with a drop of oil on the ground connection and a star washer between the termial and body.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode