67 Camaro Wiring Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

67 Camaro Wiring Question

My '67 Camaro has a 350 87-88 model engine.

I have an electronic ignition. I'm only getting 11.92 volts to the distributor. Would this cause my engine to run rich? I've tried three different carbureters and I still have the problem of running rich.

A friend said that I may not be getting enough voltage to the distributor to make the spark plugs burn hot enough to burn the fuel. I have checked it out with a multimeter and I'm getting about 12.25 volts coming out of the fuse box until I turn the ignition switch on. Then I get 11.92.

Is this normal or should I be getting over 12? Has anyone had this problem? What should I expect to get? I'd really appreciate it if you have any information how to fix this problem of running rich.

Terry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro Wiring Question

You should be getting min 13.8 volts, dependent upon alternator used.
If external regulated, voltage regulator may be the issue or alt may be bad. Measure BATT stud, red wire, s/b over 14 volts. Replace VR with a plug & play Wells VR P/N VR715 and don't forget the ground strap on reg chassis and mounting bolt.
You could also have some high resistance between horn relay buss bar and battery junction block, wire braush all components, follow the red wires.
If you have an internal reg'd alt, 10SI or 12SI, do away with ext reg'r and jumper the two inside wires and the two outside wires, and plug blue wire into #1 terminal and white wire into #2 terminal on the alternator.
You might check/clean battery cable clamps also.
If running an electronic distributor, you should run a new power wire, 12GA wire, fromt he ign spade on the fuse panel to IGN terminal on the dist and tie back the cloth covered wire as it is not used any more.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

I no longer have an external voltage regulator. I have an internal regulator. When I first cranked the engine today, it idled at 600 rpm. I was getting 11 volts according to my gauge. Then when I eased up the idle speed to 2000 rpm, it stayed the same at 11 volts. When I revved it up, it would go up to 13 volts, but never to 14. If I returned to idle at 600 rpm, it would run about 11 to 11.5 volts. If I took the rpm to 900, it would show about 13 to 13.5, but never go up to 14.

I've checked the belts and the belts are good and tight. This has been doing this for at least three years.

Terry

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by therodsite View Post
I no longer have an external voltage regulator. I have an internal regulator. When I first cranked the engine today, it idled at 600 rpm. I was getting 11 volts according to my gauge. Then when I eased up the idle speed to 2000 rpm, it stayed the same at 11 volts. When I revved it up, it would go up to 13 volts, but never to 14. If I returned to idle at 600 rpm, it would run about 11 to 11.5 volts. If I took the rpm to 900, it would show about 13 to 13.5, but never go up to 14.

I've checked the belts and the belts are good and tight. This has been doing this for at least three years.
maybe install a smaller pulley on your alternator

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 03:57 PM
Garry

You should get 14 volts out of the alternator. Sounds like you've got some leaky diodes in the alternator. The diode pack can be replaced by itself, but rebuilt alternators can be cheaper on sale.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

I had the alternator rebuilt in the summer, it didnt change a thing. But, at that time I was not aware of the voltage problem it had just quit charging. I took it off the car and took it to his shop and watched as he rebuilt the alt. took about 10 min. I'm not for sure if he checked the voltage regulator or not, he didn't say.

What will a smaller pully do?
Or, do I take to the shop to checkout the diode? Or is this something I can do? How how?

Thank for the help

Terry
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by therodsite View Post
I had the alternator rebuilt in the summer, it didnt change a thing. But, at that time I was not aware of the voltage problem it had just quit charging. I took it off the car and took it to his shop and watched as he rebuilt the alt. took about 10 min. I'm not for sure if he checked the voltage regulator or not, he didn't say.

What will a smaller pully do?
Or, do I take to the shop to checkout the diode? Or is this something I can do? How how?

Thank for the help
A smaller pulley will give the alt. more rpm with out you stepping on the gas. go back to your rebuilder with the alt and get him to install a smaller one

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 13, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Ok, that should fix part that part of the problem but.. what about the voltage coming out of the fuse box? As long the ignition is not turn to run it getting about 12.25 volts coming out of the fuse box on the hot batt. in the fuse box, until I turn the ignition then its about 11.92.

Terry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 13, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You have a couple symptoms here.
1. A voltage reading of 12.25 volts at the BATT spade means either the battery is in a low state of charge, 40%-50%, or there is a high resistance from battery to fuse box. I suspect the first since alt is not outputting correctly.

When you turn igniton switch to IGN, an electrical load is being placed onto the power buss and battery is making the current demand, hence, voltage drops.
Just like a garden hose, nozzle off, lots of pressure; open nozzle, pressure goes down.

Your post reads like you have a one-wire alt rather than a three-wire alt One-wire need rpm's to work correctly. True?

A picture of the alternator would help.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 13, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

I'll get one for you this afternoon when I get off work. Thanks!!!

Terry
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 13, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Here are two photos that may help you to see what we have.
Thanks,
Terry

Terry

Last edited by therodsite; Jan 2nd, 13 at 05:50 PM. Reason: wrong pic
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 13, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Here's the second picture.
Thanks,
Terry

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electronic ignition, voltage, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode