Cigarette lighter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Cigarette lighter

Just purchased a new lighter for my '68 Camaro with the single copper pin. How do you wire such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Cigarette lighter

It's wired to the unit via the Fuse Block 'Lighter/Cigar' output - which is 'Hot' constantly ...
The wire color is Red/Orange and it is a single wire.

The 90-deg. plug adapter for the rear connection pin is available from some auto parts stores in the "HELP" section or from the 'repoppers' as a pig-tail to wire it up.
Or - you can use a standard Packard 'barrel' connector ...
It is included in the Dash loom when using an original or replacement harness.

Believe it or not, I bought the last complete base and plug I needed at Summit Racing for @$4

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 8th, 13 at 06:47 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Re: Cigarette lighter

Thank you! I replaced all my wiring with a Painless 18 circuit Camaro/firebird harness. It has been easy so far but its the little stuff.

Thanks Again

Jason

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

What John said, but to add to that be sure it has a good ground to the dash surface it mounts to, thats the other end of the circuit. Add a bunch of paint or rust on the dash and the lighter won't work.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Little of subject.....
the camaro has the lighter wired live, like the brakelights....and Im used to old classic cars for everyday transport....
The borrowed a friends modern car, put the garmin nuvi into the lighter and its not live...only live with key on
When did cars change?
1/2 by thinking about putting the lighter on the camaro onto a ign on only circuit.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 05:00 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The past two jeeps I have had (95 & 06) all had one or two "power outlets" that were live all the time and the other two or three of them were only at ignition.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 05:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Make sure you have a good connection on the lighter connection. They produce alot of heat and the connection will melt or corrode over time.

You might take a pair of pliers and squash the connector a little bit to make it tighter.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 09:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Cigarette lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Little off subject.....
the camaro has the lighter wired live ... borrowed a friends modern car, put the garmin nuvi into the lighter and its not live...only live with key on
When did cars change?
Oh, about 10~15 years ago - where you been ( J/K )

My 2004 Trailblazer has two (2) 'Lighter outlets' right under radio - one is 'key-on' switched and the other is 'live' "hot" all the time, for accessories/chargers.
Thought it was weird when I got the vehicle, now I'm used to it ...
It also has three (3) others (for five (5) total - have no idea who fingered this option out ...) two (2) in the rear console for passenger use, and one more way in the back on side panel - all of these are "hot" all the time ...
BTW - not one of these had a 'Lighter' in it when I received the vehicle new from the dealer - just covers over them. Years later while I was digging through the little compartment in the side panel (to finally check if there was a Jack and Tire-iron before a trip ) I found a sealed bag with two 'lighters' and a funny round 'ashtray' thingy to put in one of the Cup Holders - for the Smokers I guess, but never would have looked there for it ...

Our new Traverse has all the lighter outlets "hot" all the time - and even the 110vac outlet is 'hot' with the Key-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Make sure you have a good connection on the lighter connection. They produce alot of heat and the connection will melt or corrode over time.

You might take a pair of pliers and squash the connector a little bit to make it tighter.
They can produce a lot of heat at the connection if it is 'iffy' ...
I usually put some Conductive Paste (as used for home.Ind. wiring) on the connections for items like this to assure a great connection through their life.
Never have had a problem after starting this procedure.
"Squashing" most connectors causes the connection to have smaller localized contact points and will/can cause more trouble with 'heat' at the connection as just a poor connection.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode