Installing front dash speaker - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 13, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Larry

Installing front dash speaker

Just looking for help with installing front dash speaker. It's going in my 68 coupe with A/C. I have heard its an all day affair. Just looking for some info on where to start. What needs to come out or off to be able to get to the old speaker and bracket?

I'm not looking for people to try and talk me out of installing it or telling me a better place to put speakers. I have read the other posts and understand opinions vary. Is there any kind of literature with diagrams that could help? Thanks guys. Can't wait to get started. Below is the car I'm putting it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	31818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 13, 08:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Re: Installing front dash speaker

I would remove the radio and a/c controller to start, then assess how much room you have. That should be enough to get to it IMO. If your ductwork is still installed, that may need to be removed temporarily as well. (center vent feed duct)...

I just installed a new dash panel in my '68 and am just imagining what would need to be removed if I did that install.
Also-- try a youtube or google search using "1968 camaro dash speaker" as keywords in the search bar. You just may get something...

If you go to my '68 build thread, you can see what the upper cowl and dash panel areas look like without anything installed. That may help too...

Here's a good thread to read about placing speakers in the dash.... There's alot of good explanations in this...
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...h-of-69-Camaro

Hope this helps.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 13, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Larry

Thank you. That's more than I knew before so it should help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969

Watching this thread. I have my NOS am/fm to install but want to replace the front speaker as well. The last time I heard it, there was more cracking than music.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might be able to remove the glovebox and get it from the side.
I have done it this way before.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Jan 29th, 14 at 09:22 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech

It takes a lot of trial and error. I messed with the orig bracket until I had it just right. The orig speaker was turfed, as there are so much better ones on the market now than back then. I replaced it with a 4x8, I think it was?...and it sounded so much better than the skinny orig. I didn't remove the GB, and it was a cranky job!

capt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I have done this a few times, and with A/C, I don't think you can get there through the glove box. From my experience, you need to work from the bottom up. Remove the ash tray, remove the radio, unscrew the A/C controls, and let them drop down into he space created by removing the radio and ashtray. Unscrew the A/C vent, and you can work the duct pieces out the front of the dash. Once this is done, the speaker is pretty easy to remove.

Good time to replace the lights in the A/C controls if needed. Very hard to get to otherwise. I replaced mine with LED's so I hope to never have to change them again.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode