Crazy horn and flasher problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 13, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Crazy horn and flasher problem

Installing console gauges, tic toc tac, and a rebuilt GM tilt column on my 68 . I removed the original steering column before I started to have more room under the dash. completed all of the wiring, and tested everything and all seemed well, but the column was not yet installed. I installed my new column, and quickly noticed that when I push in the flasher button, the horn sounds. Also, if the key is in the on position, the flashers are always on. To troubleshoot, I pugged in my old column and the exact same thing happens. Re traced all our steps on the gauge install and all looks good. Hoping this is some goofy grounding issue, but not sure where the grounds for the flashers are.

Anyone ever have their flasher button work their horn? By the way, the horn button does not work at all. We are completely stumped!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 13, 08:59 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Crazy horn and flasher problem

The horn lead just grounds the horn relay, so your current situation (no pun intended) is grounding that lead. Steering rag-joint is also a ground bridge to check. Not sure about 68's but in 69 the hazards are part of the turn-signal switch, is that working for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichard View Post
...noticed that when I push in the flasher button, the horn sounds. Also, if the key is in the on position, the flashers are always on. To troubleshoot, I pugged in my old column and the exact same thing happens.
Then it is not the column, the problem is the harness.
Flashers get battery power from fuse panel, brown wire, to the middle of the s/column connector.
I think it is pull out on EMER switch to turn off, push in to turn on?
I would also check the wire colors of the mating s/column connector.
It reads like the black wire for horn is switched dark blue for front blinker.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I have if figured out! The curved steering column harness plug in my car is pretty butchered up, and i was plugging it into the connecter on my new column one slot off. The connecter on the harness has nine slots, but the column connecter only has eight. If you are not careful, (and the plug lock tab is broken off), you can put the empty slot on the wrong side which makes every connection one off place and all sorts of strange things happen. When I connected my original column again, I made the same mistake. Once I got my fat butt wiggled up under the dash to get a good close look, it was obvious.

Thanks to those who helped!

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 13, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: Crazy horn and flasher problem

Good thing I didn't go with my first thought of having you chech the "Flasher Fluid"

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode