69 Camaro SS Battery Choice - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jimmy

69 Camaro SS Battery Choice

Hey guys, I searched but didn't find a lot on what type and brand of Battery is the prefered choice. I have side post and what was in it was a NAPA Select #8478, Lasted about 6 years and did ok, But I was just seeing what the majority of thoughts were on here about their choice. Thanks in advance

Jimmy
1969 SS Camaro, 383 Stroker, Hooker Super Comps, Flowmaster Delta Flow mufflers,4-Speed, 3.42 Gears Posi , Coys' 17" Wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 07:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 69 Camaro SS Battery Choice

My side post is a Duralast. So far so good with four years. Sears Die Hard only had top posts and wasn't changing cables..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I like having top and side posts, they used to be readily available. I had a hard time finding one last time so I bought a yellow top Optima. Kinda pricey but I like it, time will tell if it was worth the dough. Doesn't look correct if you a concerned about that, I'm not.

And this too shall pass.

69 X11 SS, Glacier Blue, LS3 480, T56 Mag, Lots of stuff done to it, all by yours truly
Build thread:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I use Optima in two of my cars, although I did have one bad one. Being AGM they don't out gas, so good if in the trunk. However, they are supposed to hold a charge longer when not in use, but if you have a constant draw like clock you need to use a trickle charger made for AGM batteries as they will go dead if you leave the car sitting for a couple of weeks or months.They DO NOT like conventional battery chargers. I use C-Tec, but I think Battery Tender has one also with the AGM setting.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I have an Optima Red Top with top and side terminals. No complaints after 2 yrs. Too bad Costco quit carrying them - they had a good deal. I use this float charger on it that I cyped from my Dad. http://associatedequip.com/product/model-9003/

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

This is my personal experience with Car Battaries used in not only my 68 Camaro Coupe but also in my 69 Camaro Convertible.... I think the GM Delco Battery(s) whch I purchased from a local Chevrolet Dealer, look good in the engine compartment, they have plenty of cranking power, and last for years, I have not had one go bad yet. Personally I cannot understand why Camaro Gal's/Guy's gp all out bulding their ride, and then install a Walmart/Checker/O'Reilly battery. You get what you pay for, and buying a GM Delco Battery from your local Chevrolet dealer, do not cost that much more,believe I payed $108.00 each for the Batteries.....Also I asked for and got the top post, I just don't care for the side post batteries.......Again this is my personal preference.......Different Strokes for Different Folks!!!!!!!!!!

Also where is the Horn Fuse on a 69 Camaro, looked on the fuse box and found none. Horn's were not working (have the button on each side,, which honk's the horns) Took it to a mechanic and he took his power tester, and before he tested any fuse's, he pushed the horn button, and the horn's worked, and have continued working......Strange to me, but true..............
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 09:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

Another mishap I had in my 68 Camaro Coupe I bought and installed a Optima Battery and installed in my 68 Camaro Coupe, bought it new from a Optima Dealer, was in the coupe for awhile and for what ever reason it began leaking acid, needless to say not good, ate up the paint and scarred the inner fender panel, etc. Went back and told the Optima Dealer in Las Vegas, and they did not want to stand behind the damages, O.K. so I reported it to my Insurance Company, and they contacted the Optima Dealer and after showing them the repair estimate for $2200, I received a check from Optima, and the repairs were made,,,NOTE: there was much more acid damage than the Inner fender panel, valve covers, radiator shroud and radiator and other parts as well. They could not sell me another Optima or a Sears Die Hard, I use GM Delco Batteries in my 4 GM vehicles and a Ford Battery in my Mustang.............People may disagree, this is my personal experience, and I stand behind the GM and Ford Batteries................................
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuckcity View Post
This is my personal experience with Car Battaries used in not only my 68 Camaro Coupe but also in my 69 Camaro Convertible.... I think the GM Delco Battery(s) whch I purchased from a local Chevrolet Dealer, look good in the engine compartment, they have plenty of cranking power, and last for years, I have not had one go bad yet. Personally I cannot understand why Camaro Gal's/Guy's gp all out bulding their ride, and then install a Walmart/Checker/O'Reilly battery. You get what you pay for, and buying a GM Delco Battery from your local Chevrolet dealer, do not cost that much more,believe I payed $108.00 each for the Batteries.....Also I asked for and got the top post, I just don't care for the side post batteries.......Again this is my personal preference.......Different Strokes for Different Folks!!!!!!!!!!

Also where is the Horn Fuse on a 69 Camaro, looked on the fuse box and found none. Horn's were not working (have the button on each side,, which honk's the horns) Took it to a mechanic and he took his power tester, and before he tested any fuse's, he pushed the horn button, and the horn's worked, and have continued working......Strange to me, but true..............
X2! on the AC/DELCO battery. Hate to see an ugly green top INTERSTATE battery in an early model camaro.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 13, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Optima with a battery topper? I get a lot of compliments. Looks original but functions better?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 13, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jimmy

The horn should not have a fuse because the wire that goes to the horn butto just make ground. the hot wire goes directly to the horn.

Jimmy
1969 SS Camaro, 383 Stroker, Hooker Super Comps, Flowmaster Delta Flow mufflers,4-Speed, 3.42 Gears Posi , Coys' 17" Wheels.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 13, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech

Since we're talking top-posts here, this may not be relevant, but here goes. I've had two AC Delco batteries on two different vehicles in recent years leak around the side post. What a freakin mess, and the damage is still evident. I pretty much wrote off AC Delco as a result.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 13, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm also a big fan of the AC Delco batteries. It just seems like they last a really long time. My friend has had the same one in his '70 GTO Judge since 1998 and it's still going strong. I've had two AC Delco's go 10 years in my daily drivers. When I used to use Die Hards in my '69 they were toast after 5 years.

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 13, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

Check out CarsDirect.com and check out there battery reviews.....the Walmart battery actually rates higher that AC Delco and Optima.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 13, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakes View Post
Check out CarsDirect.com and check out there battery reviews.....the Walmart battery actually rates higher that AC Delco and Optima.
So now they have chinese battery's too? Just what we need.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 13, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

The wal-mart everstart batteries are made by both Delphi which is in Troy MI, and Exide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode