Wiper Motor Problem 1968 RS/SS - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
James

Wiper Motor Problem 1968 RS/SS

The wiper motor is not working on my RS/SS. When you turn the ignition on, the motor sort of "jumps". Also, when you push the windshield washer switch, the motor clicks. Finally, the motor gets VERY, VERY HOT when ignition is on. I removed the motor from the firewall, and tested it by running jumper wires from the various connects to the motor. Low and behold it works. Reinstall it and it doesn't. Same thing is happening with a brand new motor... works fine with jumpers, doesn't when installed into the firewall. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 06:54 PM
Kevin

Re: Wiper Motor Problem 1968 RS/SS

You need to make sure you have a good ground between the base and the firewall. There is a brass tab clamped onto the case which transfers ground via the metal cap of the grommet to the bolt. Try a ground jumper from base to neg battery post on next test.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 06:59 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Does anyone have any pix of the way the 68 wiper moter is wired up ?
I may also be having trouble with my ground (or a plug) it may help both me and JTeel.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
James

Thanks Kevin. I'm thinking it's a ground problem too. I'll do what you suggest and also make sure I have a clean surface on the firewall area that mates with the motor base.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 07:04 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Bad switch
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

did you try moving the wipers with your hand with out the motor been installed?

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
James

Nick, I did not. What will this tell me?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 13, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

maybe you have a seized pivot, or a bent arm behind cowl?

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 13, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I second the recommendation to try and work the mechanism by hand. I had a very similar problem and it was the bearing in one of the wiper mounts causing the mechanism to not move which caused the motor to heat up amazingly quickly. Some penetrating oil and working the mechanism by hand solved the problem, but I probably should replace the wiper mount. I never drive in the rain, so as long as they work for the annual inspection, I am good.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
James

I finally got around to testing this issue more today. I've learned that what is in fact stopping the motor is when it's connected to the wiper shaft. Yet I can work the shaft with my hand such that the wiper bases turn. There's some resistance but not much. Note everything is new here, so no rust or dirt, etc. I've tested with power coming straight off the battery and the problem persists. Further guidance much appreciated. Thanks, James.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 13, 04:45 PM
Kevin

With the wiper transmission unhooked and washer pump removed and then grounded from base to engine ground and with key on, does it spin?

Kevin

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 13, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
James

I've discovered the problem is a mechanical one. The metal plate that connects the motor drive to the wiper rod under the cowl is apparently hitting the bottom the cowl when rotating. The plate is about 2.4" in length (pic attached). Perhaps this is the incorrect one and there's a shorter one for this car. I'm going to research it. If anybody has any info on this I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper motor plate.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	32003  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 13, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
James

For those interested, the actual problem was the screw that holds the wiper base to the cowl frame was about 1/8" too long. The wiper drive arm was hitting the screw during the rotation cycle. These were the screws that came with the kit, so no clear why it was hitting. But I shortened the screw and problem resolved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode