Horn relay question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Horn relay question

I asked this question on another site and I am casting a wide net to get the info so if you read this site and the firebird site, I know I am on both.

My question is:
Could someone tell me if it makes any difference which spade connectors goes on which connector on the bottom of the horn relay or does it matter.
I am not getting any power to the horns when I press the button.

Thanks
EB

Oops, I for got to say what year. 67 FB vert Grant wheel, new turnsignal switch and horn relay, really everything new.

Last edited by ebd; Jan 28th, 13 at 03:09 PM. Reason: text added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Horn relay question

Yes it does. There are plenty of pictures here showing what should go where.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Thanks for letting me know there is a difference. I have searched and all the pictures or threads I have found don't answer my question. Can someone please tell me which connection is which.
EB

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Yes, I had mine wrong. Went from just a buzzing sound,then crossed the wires right, now I have a very loud horn.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

This may answer your question

https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...horn_relay.htm

It's for a 68 but maybe the same?

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

So, with the relay mounted with the connections facing down, does the connection closest to the firewall go to the horns. The problem I have run into is both of the wires going to the bottom of the relay are black. They are original wiring and because they are still wrapped up I can't tell which on is which. Is one the buzzer and one the horns?

Thanks
EB
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Thanks 67Carl. That really helps!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Carl View Post
This may answer your question

https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...horn_relay.htm

It's for a 68 but maybe the same?
Hey, that's my hand!

The 67 would not have the pink / blk stripe wire for the buzzer, but the rest is the same

The one from the horns is the one furthest from the firewall.
The one from the steering wheel button is the one further out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 09:01 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Hey, that's my hand!
Union scale for Hand models plus residuals

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 10:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Hey, that's my hand!

The 67 would not have the pink / blk stripe wire for the buzzer, but the rest is the same

The one from the horns is the one furthest from the firewall.
The one from the steering wheel button is the one further out.
Nice hand modeling Jim! Now get crackin' on doing some tech stuff for '67s. We need love too!

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 13, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

I am back on my 67 vert this weekend and still chasing my horn relay, horn problem.
My questions is where does the steering column get it's ground from? Is it where it bolts to the dash, where it hooks to the steering box or is there a separate ground wire somewhere.
I noticed that I also don't have turn signals. I get a light to light up on the dash but not blink for right signal and nothing for left. The flasher is new and it makes no sound at all so I am guessing I have a ground problem. I also do not have the tail or turn lights installed yet, just the harness laying in the trunk and hanging out the front of the car. Are they part of the grounding system?
Thanks
EB
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 13, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The column itself just grounds through the mounting bolts, as well as thru the ground strap built into the ragjoint.

Work these problems separately. Access the black horn wire at the steering wheel. Touch it to the steering shaft. Relay should click, Horn should blow. If the relay doesn't click, measure voltage from the black wire to ground (steering shaft). If it's not 12 volts the wire is bad or not connected somewhere. It goes thru the harness connector for the steering column, then the fuseblock (just passes thru, no fuses involved) and then to the horn relay.

Note: It's not at all out of line for both horns to be bad... Does the relay click?

Turn signal will be harder. Often the problem is the ground strap for the instrument cluster. Also could be grounding problems at any of the exterior lights. These things all ground to the body thru hardware (nuts and or bolts) After I painted my car, I had no fewer than 6 separate ground problems in the exterior lighting.

Star washers are your friend, they will dig thru the fresh paint and give you a good ground.

Here's some good wiring diagrams http://firstgens.com/document-downlo...-diagrams.html Note, you may have to be logged into that site to see them

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 13, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Jim,
Thanks,
My horns did not work, I worked on them and got one blowing (not through the relay just off the car) so I know I have one good horn. When I hit the horn button it buzzes not a click like my other car does. I used the photo that I got on this thread to make sure I have them hooked up right and they are.
I checked that the horn button was grounding and it was, I used a 12v feed and my test light for that. I tested the horn wires buy running 12v to them and they are good.
I am getting another relay in a few minutes and see if the relay is bad. It was a new relay but it only buzzes, no click.
There is three spade connectors on the bottom of mine and the one off by itself, closer to the large red and black wire connections, is hot all the time.
The other two show nothing even when I press the horn button.
I have the wire for the ground from the wheel connected to the spade connector farthest away from the firewall and the wire going to the horns hooked to the one closest to the firewall. Not really sure why the relay would buzz instead of click.
I have removed the relay and horns and ground down the paint where they mount to make sure they have a good ground.

I am going to fix this first before I go on to the turn signals.

Thanks
EB
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 13, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Update:
I got the horns working!
It was the relay even though it was new. You might know it, I could not find the receipt and they had no record of me buying it even though it was their store brand!!
It must been in all the stuff I stole from them one day.
So I bought another one and filed the receipt and kept the box and had them show me my lifetime warranty was in their data base so if it goes out again I have them.
Thanks for all the help.

PS I had three orig. horns and only could get one going so I had to buy an after market piece of junk for now.
Is there a way to fix these horns.
I blew them out beat on them and adjusted the screw on all of them and could only get the one working again.

EB
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 13, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yeah and congrats!

Now for those pesky turn signals. But first bask in the glory of a job well done, and have a

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode