wire harness resto - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

wire harness resto

I know this has been hashed a few times, but....

First, please don't tell me to buy a complete harness. I just want to get mine looking and functioning as new.

The wrap is easy. But, I cannot find a source for exact matches of the "routing clips", i.e. those little black or brown (mine has some of both) push in clips that are attached to the harness via the tap, along with each clip being stapled to a longer piece of plastic for stability.

Surely someone has a source. There are two main types. Straight and offset. There is an offset one in the tail lamp harness and another one in the engine harness between the two horn wires. I would be happy with either brown or black.

Already tried auveco. They have a gray one that is close on the straight clips, but would like a brown or black one.

Rick's sells an offset one for $3.99 each. The ones I have found from suppliers are normally 25 to a box for around 12 bucks. Just haven't found the supplier that makes the ones that Rick's sells.

Apparently the clips we need are identical to the ones used in 60's Fords, except the ford version is opaque white. This guy says a black reproduction is available, but I can't find it:
http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/it...97/3873071.htm

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 09:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: wire harness resto

Lynn you may get a better response if you tell us what year you have.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I have a 69, but I believe these clips were common for several years.

I have seen posts claiming they were all dark brown. Mine definitely has both black and brown.

Attached is a bip of one of my originals. Has the numbers 7 and 9 embossed on one side.

I believe Packard supplied most of the electrical, and I am guessing that is the packard number. Kind of like most of the electrical terminals are packard series 56 that snap in to the connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	32152  

Lynn

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Another angle:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	32153  

Lynn
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
John

A quick google search and I found this:

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/rosebud-clips.aspx

They have packard products in there, maybe ask them if they have what you need. The one I linked is not the color you need though.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 13, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Well, maybe it isn't a series 79. One of the other clips (a brown one) has a 2 and a 4 on it. Then again, maybe that is a series 24 clip.

I just know that no one seems to reproduce these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	32154  

Lynn
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 04:56 AM
Kevin

Was just looking around the web and it looks like the name of that part is a "tape on wire harness clip". Searched for that and came accross this part!

these Vette clips look just like the 69 parking light wiring clips that go into the bumper supports, which were no longer available. FYI!
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-clip-kit.aspx

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 05:11 AM
Kevin

I also just found this site, 23 pages of GM clips and things. Som really neat stuff that I have been looking for. It will take me a while to go through it!

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Gen...eners_s/64.htm

Kevin

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Kevin:

All good sites with lots of good little parts.
I had already been on all of those. None of them offer a black or brown clip like the one we are looking for. The Delphi 12010340 is the one everyone wants to sell as the replacement. I could live with it if it were black or brown, but it appears it only comes in gray.

Most vendors refer to this as a "routing clip" although a few do call it a "tape on wire harness clip" as you found. Lectric Liimited must have some that are the correct color, even though they aren't an exact match, because their "factory fit" series harnesses have dark clips installed. At least the part that shows will be close.

However, their web site says they don't sell individual parts. They do have a new division that sells parts, but when I went to purchase, it simply says the site is "under construction", so no luck with that.

The pic of the clip at deadnutson shows the exact same clip shape in white. He also states that the clip is available repro in black, but doesn't state where.

I even tried a couple of Mustang resto shops seeing if I could find the repro black one he was talking about because that would work fine for me.

The search continues.

Lynn
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 09:04 AM
Kevin

I wish I had time to mold these

Kevin

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: wire harness resto

Well ... ... you could just paint the Mustang part black/brown and use those

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Well ... ... you could just paint the Mustang part black/brown and use those
Things that make you go...huh? Good idea.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 13, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Actually, the Mustang part pictured is NOT a repro part. It is an original and very scarce. The description states that the part is reproduced in black. So... if that reproduction part really is being made, I would be happy to buy a bunch and use them.

The white ones are all 45 or so years old.

Lynn
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 13, 07:21 PM
Kevin

You only need three? I can look in my boxes of wiring

Kevin

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 05:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage

You absolutely need original, Heatbeat City has them.

Legacy 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode