gas guage - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

gas guage

I put in a new sending unit in the gas tank black wire went to body ground the other i just pluged in \, my fuel gauge always shows full althou it is not, when I turn on the key the guage goes for full to past full, tried remmoving the ground the guage does the same thing, any ideas would be apriciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 07:43 PM
John

Garage
Re: gas guage

Break in wire from sending unit to gas (brown wire) Either not connected at gauge or a break somewhere else. Also check the connection in the trunk just above the filler neck.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 13, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: gas guage

Is it a console fuel gauge or dash gauge? What year? If it's console is it original or OER?

Not sure if this relates to your problem but it does sound like an issue I am having now. Inherited a fuel gauge issue when I bought my 69 Z. I found a post here on how to test it and found I was missing the resister on the back of the gauge, so I bought one a few years back and was still having problems. Needle was going to full and staying there. Turns out I was sent a temp gauge resistor instead of fuel gauge resistor which ohms out at 90.0. The fuel gauge resistor should be less than half of that. My spare console fuel gauge ohms out at 43.0. I just found out last night using the wrong resistor was the problem. Also, looking at the catalog I ordered the resistor from, there is a note printed that if you have an OER gauge you don't need the seperate resistor like the originals because they have an internal shunt resistor installed.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 711 69 B Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode