Classic Instruments dash cluster wiring help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Philip

Classic Instruments dash cluster wiring help

I have searched and searched here and online and I am thinking I am missing something...

I just bought the Classic Instruments G/stock series gauge set...I have a 68 Camaro and I am trying to find some help wiring this in...I am hoping I do not need to cut into my wiring harness to connect this, and that is why I am here.

I understand that there are no direct fit plugs to match the existing gauge plug on this since it plugs into a "circuit board" type connector on the back of the existing gauge set...I am wondering if there is a way to adapt new plugs using the existing wire with existing connectors. Or is anyone familiar with the best way to connect the new gauge set to the existing wire harness plug without cutting the wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 06:00 PM
John

Garage
Re: Classic Instruments dash cluster wiring help

You should be able to get what you need from American Auto Wire

give them a call

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 13, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Philip

I have called AAW and they do not sell a setup for the classic instruments at least that is my understanding...they indicated that they have adapters for the auto meter gauges, but my understanding is that this will not work for the classic instruments gauges.

I am hoping that someone here has installed these already in their Camaro and can give some tips on what was used...these seem to be pretty popular from what I can see...classic instruments said to contact AAW and AAW said to contact classic instruments....

Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 13, 07:11 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz2000 View Post
I have called AAW and they do not sell a setup for the classic instruments at least that is my understanding...they indicated that they have adapters for the auto meter gauges, but my understanding is that this will not work for the classic instruments gauges.

I am hoping that someone here has installed these already in their Camaro and can give some tips on what was used...these seem to be pretty popular from what I can see...classic instruments said to contact AAW and AAW said to contact classic instruments....

Thanks!
This is from Camaro Central and Ricks re: the G/Stock

As I read it it comes complete with the wiring harness for easy install.

Did you get the Kit yet to see exactly whats involved in the installation?

"New complete custom dash kit for your 67-68 model. Includes speedometer, tachometer, fuel, oil, amp, and temp gauges. Gauges are wired and come with sending units for installation."

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 13, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Philip

I have not gotten the kit yet...it will be here tomorrow. I am able to download the instructions from classic instruments web site, but without the unit in hand it is hard to tell, but it seems like the wire harness wires need to be cut. The bad part if this needs to be done is that I am getting a new wire harness for the under dash and really would hate to cut into a brand new harness. I will report back in case someone else needs this info at some point...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 13, 08:01 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz2000 View Post
I have not gotten the kit yet...it will be here tomorrow. I am able to download the instructions from classic instruments web site, but without the unit in hand it is hard to tell, but it seems like the wire harness wires need to be cut. The bad part if this needs to be done is that I am getting a new wire harness for the under dash and really would hate to cut into a brand new harness. I will report back in case someone else needs this info at some point...
AAW has a plug that plugs into the dash harness where it would normally plug into the cluster and circuit board. Then you simply connect the wires per classics instructions.

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%200.0.pdf

I'm sorta thinking the classic kit may come with it.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 13, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I read it like you're going to need to access the wires in the main dash plug? The terminals are easy to remove from the plug using a jewelers screwdriver to flatten the spring clip holding them in. Then you can just cut them off (or pry them open to retain more wire) and replace with insulated spade connectors or whatever else. The terminals are still available if you ever wanted to go back to the plug. Just can't swap back and forth too many times or you run out of wire ha ha.

I'm reading it like John in that the gauges come with their own sending units. You'd still need to access your gauge power and dash light power from somewhere though, and most likely the fuel sending unit wire.

Edit: John's got the ticket. I figured AAW might have a harness like that to use but couldn't find it myself. Works just like a radio harness from Scosche.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 13, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Philip

okay as promised I am posting a follow up for others with this gauge cluster from Classic...

I finally got the part, however the person I bought it from did not send me everything including the sensors, some of the wiring, a plug was cut off the harness, and some other issues. so I am getting the new replacement parts from classic.

The kit comes with the sensors for the temp, oil and transmission for speed...it also comes with the wiring harness and mating plugs that go into the harness...this is the same setup as the Covan autometer gauge cluster. I will need to cut the wires on my "NEW" dash wire harness that I have not installed yet. In talking with Aaron at American Autowire, I need to cut the plug and solder the wires together based on the Classic wiring diagram. It does not appear to be that difficult, but it does answer the question of needing to cut the wires in the wire harness.

Since I have the wire harness from American Autowire not installed yet, it should be easy since I can cut and solder at my dining room table (something my wife just loves)...

If anyone has any questions I would be willing to take pictures and answer what I can.

By the way...Aaron at American Autowire was very very helpful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode