Dash gauge wiring help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 13, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Question Dash gauge wiring help!

Apologies in advance for the volume of information but I want to give as much data as possible. I'm in the process of adding gauges and am working through the dash wiring. I've got the AIM and have been studying it, along with research in the archives. I've posted a pic of what I've found and have a few questions below. Feel free (much appreaciated) to answer any questions you can. Any and all comments are welcome. I just want to get this done so I can drive my car again!

History - Speedometer, Gas gauge, left/right turn signal, e-brake light and oil light worked prior to starting project. The Temp and Gen light did not. Someone cut the temp light wire at the connector and the PO had a 1-wire alternator set up. So no mystery there.

For the wire testing I had my multi-meter dial set at 20 vDC. Results are in the chart of attached picture.

#1 and #10 are both tan. I believe #1 is from the gas sender, correct? Should I be seeing anything on the multi-meter other than 0? How else would I test this?
#2 is the water temp warning light. This did not work before (there are 2 wires in the connector; one is clipped off at that location).
#3 seems to match the AIM
#7 matches AIM and I believe I can use this as power to my electric gauges as it is only energized when the key in on. Yes?
#8 should be dark blue and operate the right turn signal according to AIM. Currently does nothing. It could be the oil warning light as I disconnected the sender (Oil warning light worked prior to starting this project). I believe #12 is the right turn signal…
#9 Light blue, operates the left turn signal according to AIM and it appears to so do according to multi-meter results.
#10 I believe this is for the emergency brake light? This light worked prior to start of project. Should there be a reading on the meter?
#11 is for the Alt/Gen light and the PO had a 1 wire setup. I will be connecting this to a warning light.
#12 meter results indicate this is the right turn signal.

Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauge wiring (2).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	32471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	32472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	32473  

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Dash gauge wiring help!

#1 - No, use ohms scale measuring s/unit resistance dependent upon fuel level.
#10 - ground a brown wire at either the parking brake engaged, or distribution block under brake master cylinder. This brown wire provides a ground for the BRAKE light to light it, otherwise, you should measure battery voltage, key on.
#2 - ground the dark green wire and TEMP light should come on with key in START.
#7 - Yes
#12 - Right turn signal power and rt indicator power.
#8 - OIL light, ground to light the OIL.
You're welcome,

Alaskan Amber still cold?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
#1 - No, use ohms scale measuring s/unit resistance dependent upon fuel level.
#10 - ground a brown wire at either the parking brake engaged, or distribution block under brake master cylinder. This brown wire provides a ground for the BRAKE light to light it, otherwise, you should measure battery voltage, key on.
#2 - ground the dark green wire and TEMP light should come on with key in START.

You're welcome,

Alaskan Amber still cold?
That 6 pack didn't last but a coupe days. I've got a Bevmo and Total Wines & More close so a wealth of choices. I usually try a different beer each time but have a short list of standard stock for the refer. I do need to make a run as I'm low. Alaskan has made the list, so there'll be one waiting.

My plan is to test the gauges before I put everything in. I've made several lengths of wire with various connectors on the ends. My thought was to alligator clip to one of the connector terminals (i.e. the light blue left turn), then attach other end to LED turn and see if it works. The LED has 2 wires - 1 red and 1 black. Will ground the black and attach light blue to red...

Apparently my understanding of the wiring requirements for the 2 items above was way off.

#10 - Is the brown wire at the connector, #10, a ground? I have a new warning light with two terminals. I guess I need to know if I should run that brown wire to one terminal and the other to power? I'm trying to visualize the circuit and an having difficulty. The light has power attached but is not grounded when the brake is realeased, therefore is not lit. With the brake engaged the circuit is complete and the light is on. Sound right?

#1 - fuel - I'm going to run power and ground to the gauge and a test wire from #1 connector to the gauge. Start the car and I should see the gauge move to the current gas level. Right?

Really appreciate all the help! Have a virtual cold one from my current inventory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	32484  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

In my garage now and tested the brake light and fuel as I mentioned above. Both seem to work. Can't tell you how nice it is for something to go right the first time! On to the tach.. Hopefully will get everything up to the point where I can put the dash gaige housing back in, steering wheel on and drive today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auto meter, dash wiring, gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode