Battery dead - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 13, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Battery dead

Recently i purchased my first camaro 350 SS,and had it about a week now.I seen the car in a ad in Hemmings motor news.And it stated that all guages were in working order,except the clock.I went out to start the car and the battery was dead!The owner recently installed a new battery and a new crome 110 amp alternator on the car.I checked all the things that may have caused the battery to die like dome light,radio,etc,but i found nothing.

I remember the previous owner sudjesting i get a battery charger to keep the battery charged during winter when i wasn't running the car.It makes me think is he really telling me the truth???BTW the amperage meter in the console reads at "0" not -40 or +40.So i'm thinking the new alternator isn't charging the battery either.

How do i check to see if the alternator is actually charging the battery?,or could it be something else?

Last edited by 350camaross; Feb 23rd, 13 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 13, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: Battery dead

Get a cheap multimeter. Jump start the car, and with it running, check voltage at the battery. It should read between 13.8 and 14.2.

Lynn
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

I bought a battery charger,and hooked it up at it is reading 12.1 volts(has been charging overnight).Back in the day i remember if i was to remove the positive post on the battery while the engine was running and the engine still ran then it ment that the alternator was charging the battery,if it died,then the alternator was bad.

I'll have to try that one today...thanks for your help Lynn

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 06:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Don is this a factory charging system with external Voltage Regulator or is the new Alternator a single wire setup with internal regulator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 13, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

The Alternator has a 3 wire harness plug and the voltage regulator i believe is mounted to the drivers side radiator support.Hope this helps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode