67 Steering wheel re-assembly - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Question 67 Steering wheel re-assembly

I'm reassembling everything after installing gauges in the dash and I'm having trouble with the horn/steering wheel cap. I took pictures of each step of the disassembly to avoid this but I'm stymied. In picture 1 I've pried off the chrome cap and when I did it the spring fell out. I did not see where it came from. I assume it was under that cap as I hadn't removed anything else at that point. The next 2 pics are each of the following stages of disassembly. For the life of me I can't figure out how/where that spring goes under the cap. Everything worked prior to taking it apart but not now. If I leave the spring out the cap is loose. If I try to insert the spring between the cap and that brown plate it won't snap closed. In both cases the horn sounds, so I had to pull that ground wire and wrap it with tape. I've researched and found various diagrams of steering assemblies but nothing exactly like mine (maybe not original). Any idea where/how this spring is installed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	32495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	32496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn 4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	32497  

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Re: 67 Steering wheel re-assembly

Take a look at this link. Looks like the small end of the spring just fits over the steering shaft threads:
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/714/223/

Gary

Last edited by Gar's67; Feb 25th, 13 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Thanks for the link Gary, that looks nearly identical to mine. I did try putting the spring in that position but there isn't enough bolt protruding from the nut to get the spring around. I used a flat blade screwdriver to hold the spring in that position while pushing the cap down, but it didn't take. After seeing the pics in your link I'll just be a little more persistent/patient and give it another go. Maybe a little piece of tape to hold it in place... Anywho, thanks!

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 13, 12:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

Tape worked for me. About one inch of tape holding the last coil of the spring to the inside of the cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
67 steering wheel, horn button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode