Recommended Internal or External Regulator System - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage
Recommended Internal or External Regulator System

Your experience only please.

The facts:
Finishing up a 4 year build of a '69 with an uncut harness in excellent condition. All of the electrical components have been tested and are working properly the connections were cleaned and restored, harness wrapped and re-installed. Regulator and headlight relay look to be original Delco parts in very good condition.

Power consumption:
Aftermarket stereo with two amps, summit street, strip ignition kit, and an aftermarket air conditioning kit will be installed next winter.

No real preference on internal or external regulated alternator, just need a charging system that will meet the demands with the lowest amount of maintenance.

Yes I have read the posts and the opinions seem to be 50/50, keeping it original isn't my goal since the internal regulated modification does not require cutting anything that cant be returned to original.

Let's hear your comments.

Legacy 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Recommended Internal or External Regulator System

I think you'll be happier with an internally regulated alt - better output at idle.

I swapped from an ailing 61A ext to a 63A 10si 3 wire int. It's a very easy, inexpensive swap and works great.

You will have more load on yours than I do - I would think a 94A 12si should do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 09:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I had great difficulty keeping my "Maintenance Free" battery charged with the external regulator. I never found a spot that it would charge properly and not stick on after the key was turned off. I converted to a three wire internal regulated Alternator to solve that problem. Never had an issue after that.

Jeff

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech
K.P. Walsh

my experience was good, I switched from external regulated to internal.
--10si (1973+ style alternator), brand new (not reman) ac delco from rock auto for about $82.00, lifetime warranty.
I ordered the adapter kit, CA27555 from classic ind. Has cap to install on the plug you disconnect from external voltage regulator, jumper wires molded in.

now I have 14.0 volts at idle immediately and pretty much most of the time, no gen light coming on on the dash because I'm not running off battery. I have no draw and car starts great and is charging!

kevin p...................
1972.5 Camaro!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 13, 11:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I installed the MadElectrical upgraded system (http://madelectrical.com/electricalt...evymain1.shtml) with a 10SI a couple of years ago and have my regulator in my parts box. It takes most of the load off the main harness so works good with stock wiring and is safer IMO if you are running modern stuff like amps. I have an amp and aftermarket a/c and had an electric fan until recently. This system makes it very easy to add accessories. Another big plus my headlights are almost as bright as my Lexus with HID and much brighter then most cars running around with yellow plastic lenses.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

X2 on the internal, I'd also spend the 100.00 and buy a new wiring harness from AAW for the internal alt. Thats what I did and it's all plug in play,and looks like a factory wiring harness, plus it gets rid of all the rest of the wires you don't need. It might be only 85.00, I can't remember.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 03:41 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Electric fans,fuel pump,MSD box,stereo,and an amp.... went with the CS130....no problems, no dim headlights....all better now.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 07:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I switched over from external to internal years ago. I bought the conversion kit for about 15 bucks and a brand new alternator for 80 bucks. Everything was plug and play.It is a night and day difference.You wont have to cut any of your original wires,which was the selling point for me.Go for it,you will be pleased with the results.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage

Great replies and very informative, not what I was expecting at all. Looks like an internal regulated alternator it is, thanks for all of your input I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Time to do a little research on the proper Delco 10si alternator that will bolt in a 350 stock right mount position.

Legacy 69
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech

I bet if you search "alternator clocking" or "alternator clocked" here you will find threads with the application info you need. Of course you will also find discussion of 12si and CS130 installs, most likely. I bought my CS130 with an OE 1st gen type fan so it looks fairly original, and has plenty of output. I just could not see the point of only upgrading to 1970s tech when going through the effort...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage

Thank you for the search advice Eric. You make a good point on the 12si install, the fan was one of my concerns, where did you pickup the 12si with the 1st gen fan?

Is there a recommended ampere 12si for my application? From what I understand to much is not necessarily better, am I correct in this line of thinking?

Legacy 69
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 13, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The correct fan is fairly important on a 12si as it kind of seals against the case for better airflow.

This is an excellent article on 10si & 12si alternators, and at the end he tells you vehicle applications for different clock positions which makes it pretty simple to order one at the parts house.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 13, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=Alternator

See post #4 in the thread below for where I bought my alternator; great vendor to deal with:

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 13, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm running a 87 amp 12 si with 2 stereo amps. I also upgraded the alt. to bat. charge wire to 8awg. Idles at 14.3 to 14.5 volts. Lights are nice and bright.

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 13, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

On a side note, as someone mentioned already, change your wiring harness.

I do forensic engineering, and have seen vintage harnesses fail.

The polymers used for the insulators are well past useful life, and now will become brittle.

If you are lucky, you will be fine. If you are at a point where it is easy to replace, I would recommend you doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode