Reverse light wiring for 68 PG to M20 swap - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Reverse light wiring for 68 PG to M20 swap

I've got a Hurst shifter and ordered this switch:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-2480003

I ordered this harness:
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...ess-1967-1968/

Can anybody tell me where this harness gets ran? I've currently got a console shifted PG so the reverse switch is here:

The 2 terminal connectors on the new harness obviously get screwed into the new switch. The other end with the rounded connector goes where? I don't see a corresponding connector under the dash anywhere. The current pink/green wires that goes to the switch shown above appear to go up behind the gauges somewhere.

Thanks!

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Reverse light wiring for 68 PG to M20 swap

It is going to be up to you how "correct" or "factory" you want things to be.

On 67 and 68 models, that harness you ordered (and may want to cancel/return) runs from the factory reverse lamp switch on the transmission, up the underside of the tunnel, and then plugs into a corresponding plug on the firewall, under the wiper motor. The firewall plug then brings the wires into the main under dash harness, and over above the top of the driver side kick panel.

So, to use that harness you ordered, you need to drill/punch (factory used a Greenlee type punch) the correct size hole in the correct dimple on the firewall (search "reverse plug firewall" or similar; there are a number of good pics of the firewall connector here), and then, if it can be purchased separate from a new manual trans floor shift under dash harness, install the matching connector and wiring from the inside of the car.

Stopping here to make sure I am not answering at same time as another member.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
It is going to be up to you how "correct" or "factory" you want things to be.

On 67 and 68 models, that harness you ordered (and may want to cancel/return) runs from the factory reverse lamp switch on the transmission, up the underside of the tunnel, and then plugs into a corresponding plug on the firewall, under the wiper motor. The firewall plug then brings the wires into the main under dash harness, and over above the top of the driver side kick panel.

So, to use that harness you ordered, you need to drill/punch (factory used a Greenlee type punch) the correct size hole in the correct dimple on the firewall (search "reverse plug firewall" or similar; there are a number of good pics of the firewall connector here), and then, if it can be purchased separate from a new manual trans floor shift under dash harness, install the matching connector and wiring from the inside of the car.

Stopping here to make sure I am not answering at same time as another member.
The harnes I ordered is specifically for the Hurst reverse switch.

So....if I plug the harness into the Hurst reverse switch and drill the hole in the firewall, there should be "from the factory" a male plug that corresponds with what I have that's connected to the green/pink wires currently going to my reverse switch connected to my PG shifter?

Since I don't have that, and I imagine most don't who do the swap, what do people usually do? Can this be bought as a pigtail?

Jason

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech

Do you have the 68 Camaro AIM? It shows these harnesses/connections in several different sections. If you don't have the AIM, PM me.

Anyway, if you want it to look OE, it is a fair amount of work. If you just want it functional? You buy some correct gage wire, if needed, and extend the pink and lime green wires that connected to the auto trans NSS you showed at the bottom to the switch you showed at the top. If you have a floor shifter/selector for the Glide, you won't need to extend very far. You run the two wires, inside some well wrapped plastic loom tubing, under the new shifter boot to the new aftermarket switch. And... You're finished.

If your Glide is column shift, you'll just need a little more wire to get from the auto NSS connectors, under the carpet at the front of the tunnel, to the new shifter hole.

Eric
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post
The harnes I ordered is specifically for the Hurst reverse switch
Yes, but it uses the factory style round connector to mate with the firewall connector. Once you do the search I suggested and see the picture of the factory firewall connector, I think you'll understand.

Eric
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Yes, but it uses the factory style round connector to mate with the firewall connector. Once you do the search I suggested and see the picture of the factory firewall connector, I think you'll understand.
Got it.

I obviously don't have the other end of this harness since I'm originally an automatic and I'm not changing the dash harness out at this point in time.

The easiest thing I guess would be to cut the connector off, use some spade connections and call it a day. Do you know if they offer the other end of the harness somewhere?

Jason
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Looks like AAW makes it:

I'm guessing from the picture if I feel around enough I can figure out where it ties into the dash harness somewhere right?

Jason
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 13, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

I was just thinking the easiest thing to do is probably just cut the round connector off this harness and feed it through the hole for the auto shifter cable. Should then be able to just connect it to the existing harness pretty easy.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode