Xenon hid kits, do I need the ballasts? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Xenon hid kits, do I need the ballasts?

Hey guys, I am going electric hideaway lights on my 69 camaro from Matt Klemp. I have also elected to go with hid lights, it has ballasts and 7 inch bulbs, How does this work? We plugged in the bulb to the stock harness an they lit up pretty bright. The guy installing the kit wasnt really sure. This is the kit I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/8000K-Slim-X...73f14f&vxp=mtr . Has anyobe used these or know how this works? Thanks again guys.

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Xenon hid kits, do I need the ballasts?

Some info:
http://www.ballastdesign.com/overview.shtml

Yes, you do. It keeps the lights from flickering and keeps them lit at a constant brillance when power flucuates, as in turn signal selection.

This has alittle more info:
powerelectronics.com/mag/610PET22.pdf

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Some info:
http://www.ballastdesign.com/overview.shtml

Yes, you do. It keeps the lights from flickering and keeps them lit at a constant brillance when power flucuates, as in turn signal selection.

This has alittle more info:
powerelectronics.com/mag/610PET22.pdf
Those articles were helpful but if you look at the kit I put in the link we dont understand how the ballast and wires hook up to the bulb without splicing wires.The ballast and wires already come connected to a new bulb but one that isnt compatable with the 7 inch bulb. A diagram or pictures of what other members have done would be extremely helpful.Can anyone help with that?

Last edited by 69GreyGhost; Mar 22nd, 13 at 06:23 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 06:34 AM
Team Member
Jake

You should contact the vendor/manufacturer of the item on your question regarding the splicing. Without looking at it myself, I would assume that you'll need to cut and splice wires. I personally would take it a step further and use a relay to energize the ballasts. I would use the factory low beam wire to feed the coil of the relay and run a FUSED dedicated 12 volt feed through the normally open set of contacts on the relay to the ballasts. HID lamps use a high initial amperage when first fired up and then the amperage will lower as the lamp brightens. This initial in-rush of current may be too much for older factory wiring. The only way I think that you'd be able to hook up the lights without splicing the factory wiring, would be if you can find an adapter/pigtail that would "plug" into your factory headlamp socket and have a 12 volt positive and negative wire on the other side of the adapter. Good luck. Jake
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good point, Jake. Yes, put each headlamp on its own relay as power is readily available close by, battery junction block for the pass side and horn relay for the drvr side.

Also, if you are running an external reg'd alt, 10DN, OE design, you may need to go to an internal reg'd alt, 12SI, of more amperage. Remember the flickering of lights?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 07:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
Hey guys, I am going electric hideaway lights on my 69 camaro from Matt Klemp. I have also elected to go with hid lights, it has ballasts and 7 inch bulbs, How does this work? We plugged in the bulb to the stock harness an they lit up pretty bright. The guy installing the kit wasnt really sure. This is the kit I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/8000K-Slim-X...73f14f&vxp=mtr . Has anyobe used these or know how this works? Thanks again guys.
The kit comes with everything you need! Plug and play....
Pug the light harness into ballast, plug the light in and you are done.

My son installed these in his car in 5 min and has been using them about 3 months now without problems.

Kev
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 08:03 AM
Team Member
Jake

Quote:
Good point, Jake. Yes, put each headlamp on its own relay as power is readily available close by, battery junction block for the pass side and horn relay for the drvr side.

Also, if you are running an external reg'd alt, 10DN, OE design, you may need to go to an internal reg'd alt, 12SI, of more amperage. Remember the flickering of lights?
You could use one relay for both lamps. If you would like...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
The kit comes with everything you need! Plug and play....
Pug the light harness into ballast, plug the light in and you are done.

My son installed these in his car in 5 min and has been using them about 3 months now without problems.

Kev

What about the bulb already attached to the harness? It came with some sort of adaptor for the back of the 7 inch bulbs, but I'm not 100% sure if that is how it works. The issue is we see the ballast and we see the harness has a bulb already attached to it. Do we keep the old bulb or splice wires? That's the problem. It was late so maybe we didnt look at it properly. I will go to the shop today and try to tell the guy what you guys have told me. But the extra bulb connected to the harness what about it? That's what really throws us off. It just doesn't look like it works all together.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would still use a relay for each light, less line loss of power.
If you are talking about this bulb, it plugs into the reflector shown.

'

Last edited by Everett#2390; Jan 29th, 14 at 09:22 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
I would still use a relay for each light, less line loss of power.
If you are talking about this bulb, it plugs into the reflector shown.

What reflector? If I use the 7 inch houseing will both plugs be plugged into the ballast and the harness? Can someone post a pic of where the 7inch housing goes to the wiring harness?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Look at the kit in the ebay link.
The reflector is hollow, no bulb plugged into it.

'
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Look at the kit in the ebay link.
The reflector is hollow, no bulb plugged into it.

I see what you guys are talking about, mines isn't hollow. I plugged the 7 inch light directly to my stock wiring harness and it lit up. That's why we are so confused. The kit I have looks incomparable with its parts. The link was just of the same kit I don't think it's from the same company. It just looks very much the same.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 13, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 697ibew View Post
You could use one relay for both lamps. If you would like...
Relays for headlights = great idea. Use 2 relays - one for high beam and one for low beam. Tap into harness on driver's side by core support. As said - orig high beam (light green) & low beam wires ( tan) to trigger relay coils, relays provide the switching, and get fused power from horn relay busbar. Takes all but of a few miliamps of load off of the headlight switch and related wiring.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Ok guys, I feel kinda remedial. We looked at it and realized the 7inch light was just a housing that comes out and the hid kit plugs into that. We thought the bulb was fixed and didnt know it was just a way to use the kit. Thanks guys for all the help. I will post pics when the conversion is 100% complete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode