Headlights and electric cooling fans problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Headlights and electric cooling fans problem

I have a 69 camaro. I have done a total body off resto. So all new AAW classic update harness. Plus relays for headlights and for my dual electric cooling fans. My fans did turn on when the car got up to temp and off when the car was shut off. That is how I want it to function. Now they want to keep running after it is shut off. I disconnect the neg batt cable, then reconnect and the fans come back on. That's one problem. The second problem is with the headlights. Ignition off, I can turn on my headlights no problem. When I start the car and it is running the headlights will flicker on and off sporatically. When I have the car off and the neg batt cable disconnected. Then reconnect the neg cable I can see my headlights flicker. This is with the headlight switch off. Any suggestions where to look? I have gone over and over grounds and rechecking wiring. Need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Headlights and electric cooling fans problem

I would unplug the headlight relays and jumper around them and see if that problem goes away. You could also try a different HL switch - I've seen some real pieces of junk for replacement switches, assuming that's what you have.

Some relays have quenching diodes built into them and you need to have the correct polarity to the coil side. Just another thought.

No help on the elec fans - never wired one up, but a thought would be to disable that system temporarily and see if it's causing funky things with your headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

My HL switch is run through a module by AAW. I do not have a floor switch any more. Jumper around the relays? You are saying go direct from the hareness to the lights? Quenching diodes. Can you explain what they do? When the car is running...and the lights flicker...I can feel the relays clicking. At first I thought as I wiggled wires it was me making the lights do that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Just unhooked the fans. Reconnected the neg batt cable. Still saw the headlights flicker when I did that. Started the car. Turned on the headlights and they again began to flicker spuratically.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Quenching diodes. Can you explain what they do?
When power is removed from the relay coil a "kickback" of several hundred volts can occur (very little amperage). Anyway, this kickback voltage can cause problems with some electronic equipment. A diode is installed between the + and - wires going to the relay coil on some relays to stop the voltage right there at the relay. A diode is a one way valve for electricity. If the polarity to the relay coil is wrong the relay probably shouldn't work - so that was a long explanation for something that probably isn't even your problem.

Yeah - on the headlight relays - I think the high and low beam wires are tan and lt green. Just unplug the relays from the sockets and reconnect each wire where they are cut with a jumper leaving the relays out of the loop, just running headlight power thru the switch like the factory did. do you get the flickering on hi and lo beam or just lo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I havent tried by passing the relays yet. But I believe both. Usually the lights are on low beam and flicker. But I have had them on hi. Then the flickering starts and they go down to the low beams.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

You can make a jumper wire to go from control side power to switched side. This will allow you to jumper the relay without cutting the harness. Dont know if that is what you were planning to do, but just wanted to make sure you knew you didnt have to cut anything. This should be able to tell you if the relay is the problem, or if you have a voltage feed problem. If the headlight does not flicker, I would verify good ground on the control side of the relay block. (ohm it out. 0-3 ohms is what it should read depending on the run length of wire to ground.) If this is good, you probably have a bad relay. Also, as to the fans, if you want them to shut off when you turn the car off, just make sure they are on an ignition voltage source instead of a battery. I dont know how you have them wired in, as mine are switched by my Holley system. Details on how the fans detect temp, and how the circuit is currently wired in would help alot.

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode