Basic electrical question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Basic electrical question

If you had all electrical components wired up correctly and everything grounded well. Would you see a spark when taking the negative batt cable on or off? If you did. Then does that mean you have a positve wire somewhere touching ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:10 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Basic electrical question

Somethings drawing power.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Not a huge arc but probably a spark, somewhere in the system there is a load, could be anything, stereo etc., and when you brush the cable across the post it will draw an arc.
If it's a huge arc and everything is turned off, I would be nervous. It's not a positive cable going to ground though, because if it was you would have melted wire shortly.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I dont have melted wires. I need to find the source of this arc issue. I think it is the cause of my gremlins. I guess unplug everything. Then slowly add one item in at a time.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Are you having a battery drain issue?

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
Are you having a battery drain issue?
Well I dont think so. But what would be your reasoning on batt drain? I have had the neg cable disconnected over the winter. When running my gauge reads 14v. I would suppose if I left it all hooked up it would eventually drain. But I dont know what that duration time would be. I have a couple elec posts going presently to try and figure out whats up.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Not necessarily a problem, there are things that always have some draw, just not much and not enough to kill the battery.
It can be any number of small things and never be a problem. If it doesn't drain your battery (while hooked up of course..) over a period of time, weeks, months even, you don't have an issue.
It could be as simple as the constant hot to your stereo to keep your clock accurate and it will draw a small arc when you pul the cable away.

Is there any concern other than you noticed an arc?

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
Not necessarily a problem, there are things that always have some draw, just not much and not enough to kill the battery.
It can be any number of small things and never be a problem. If it doesn't drain your battery (while hooked up of course..) over a period of time, weeks, months even, you don't have an issue.
It could be as simple as the constant hot to your stereo to keep your clock accurate and it will draw a small arc when you pul the cable away.

Is there any concern other than you noticed an arc?
Well if you see my other posts going right now. Those are my issues. Dul electric fans keep running after the car is turned off. And my headlights flicker. But only when the car is running. Not when the motor is off.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

You can pull one fuse at a time to see if the arc goes away, that might tell you something.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Well if you see my other posts going right now. Those are my issues. Dul electric fans keep running after the car is turned off. And my headlights flicker. But only when the car is running. Not when the motor is off.
Have not seen the posts. Have a link?
I'm not a DC wiring expert but I have done a bunch of wiring on 2-3 race cars and I make a living wiring buildings....

I had a bunch of odd issues when I first bought my car and chased them down for a couple of weeks, it almost always came back to one thing, a bad rusty connection at a ground or fuse terminal.

Your fan issue sounds like you are not using a relay or not properly using a relay, there is no reason for them to run if the switch is off (how do they switch?).

I'll see if I can find the thraeds and maybe I can give some input there, there are a few guys that are pretty sharp with electrical systems on here. It can't be that bad.

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
You can pull one fuse at a time to see if the arc goes away, that might tell you something.
This is always a good way to narrow it down for sure. It will depend on how "customized" your electrical sytem is...

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 08:28 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

Mine negative cable does a little spark when taking off or putting on. It's because of the clock in my console gauges. I can leave my car for 2 or 3 months and the battery is still right up there in charge and fires the big block right up, so I have no concerns about my little spark.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 08:59 AM
Retired
Jim

Get a cheap 12v light stick at auto parts store, disconnect NEG cable from battery, clip alligator clip onto the cable bolt and 'stick' the sharp point into the battery terminal (have someone hold it in there tight and he can also hollar if the light goes off or on) ...guessing the light 'lights up' at this point. Now pull fuses one at a time, till you see the stick light go 'off'...now you have the circuit where the draw is. Now trouble shoot that circuit works great

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

Last edited by click; Mar 25th, 13 at 07:57 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Thank you Click. I will try that. Now to find a willing partner.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Paul B

"Well if you see my other posts going right now. Those are my issues. Dul electric fans keep running after the car is turned off. And my headlights flicker. But only when the car is running. Not when the motor is off."

The fans depend on what power source you connected to. If you connected to a switched terminal on the fuse box, one that has no power with the key in the off position than the fans should stop running right away. If you have them wired to something with 12V regardless of the position of the ignition switch, then the fans will run until the sender reads the temp where they turn off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode