Battery not Charging - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Battery not Charging

My 1967 Camaro is a standard console shift AT car with warning lights converted to console gauge and tach. Since the conversion my battery is not being charged.

My alternator tested out very good, the Voltage regulater is new and the battery is new.

When the car is running i get 12.5v, how can i pin point the problem if its wiring. Or where would be a good place to start.

I need some help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Re: Battery not Charging

With your rs headlight door motor being shorted out and making the relay pop,you might try re-testing since you unpluged the motor.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfcamaro View Post
With your rs headlight door motor being shorted out and making the relay pop,you might try re-testing since you unpluged the motor.
I did that hoping it was it!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 05:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Is it the stock style ( external ) or has it been updated to a internal regulated alt
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would start at the alt BATT stud and measure from the stud to ground.
If no volts, does it have field voltage?
No field voltage, does F terminal on VR have field voltage?
If F terminal does not have voltage, bad VR.
Trace the red wire from alt BATT Stud to positive battery post.
Every connection point should have alt voltage, aka, horn relay buss bar, battery junction block.
Also, negative battery cable at both ends should be a clean connection.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you did anything funky with the old warning light wiring at the "gen" light in the dash when you converted to gauges then you could've lost the sense line for the voltage regulator. I think it's the brown wire at the voltage regulator and should have system voltage on it with the car running or key turned on. It comes from either on side of the "gen" light or a parallel reisistor wire (in case gen light burns out). The console gauge cars only have the resistor wire running from key switch. Not positive as I only run internal regulators.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
If you did anything funky with the old warning light wiring at the "gen" light in the dash when you converted to gauges then you could've lost the sense line for the voltage regulator. I think it's the brown wire at the voltage regulator and should have system voltage on it with the car running or key turned on. It comes from either on side of the "gen" light or a parallel reisistor wire (in case gen light burns out). The console gauge cars only have the resistor wire running from key switch. Not positive as I only run internal regulators.
That is my guess from what he said he did so far.

...and I, too, had enough of the external VR stuff and just went 1 wire...

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

I agree also on installation of a 1 wire alternator. After rebuilding my harness 2x when a regulator went bad and melted wiring....well lets just say there are better, newer options. Plus you get that ugly block off your core support. No more need for the power distribution post if while you are at it, you get creative with your new wiring As to how you wired it up, David Pozzi has a good article on why it will not work. Read the very last few lines.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

Another page that may help you:

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_electrical.htm

You cannot bypass the bulb in the bezel for your speedo and tach if you are using an old style alternator. I say that.... you could just wire in a small resistor (ohm out the bulb, though i have never tried this) to simulate the bulb, but you will definitely need resistance in that circuit for it to charge properly.

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Thanks guys, I will see if I did something wrong with the gen light wire.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

The instructions from the console gauge conversion said to cut off Gen wire tape it off cause it will not be used. That's exactly what I did. Everything has voltage from the battery, through the alt and vr.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra11eysport View Post
The instructions from the console gauge conversion said to cut off Gen wire tape it off cause it will not be used. That's exactly what I did. Everything has voltage from the battery, through the alt and vr.
Hate to say it but there's your problem right' thar!

try reconnecting the gen wire if there's a light in your new gauges. The external voltage regulator needs the resistance to work properly.

That said I've heard that not having the bulb may burn out your VR so don't be surprised if that does not fix the problem.

if your VR is shot I found that the prices on them has gone up. Many people will quote $10 as the going price but reality is closer to 25-35. At that point you're halfway to just getting a modern alternator with an internal VR.

Rather than fight the whole system I replaced my alternator and regulator with this. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=350690663384

I opted for the 1wire install. I also added a ground wire. Holds a very steady 13.7 Volts at all rpm's.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

I didn't actually cut it, but rather pulled it out of the instrument connector. So I should put the gen wire back in the 11 spot. I will do that and report back. Thanks a lot.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Didn't work!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 07:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I remember when I worked as a mechanic spending a lot of time working on a car that wasn't charging only to find out the bulb in the idiot light was burned out.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 13, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
I remember when I worked as a mechanic spending a lot of time working on a car that wasn't charging only to find out the bulb in the idiot light was burned out.
I put the gen wire back and inserted the bulb. I will double check and make sure the bulbs to burnt. I'm thinking about trying out the 1 wire alternator just to maybe eliminate the vr and alt as the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode