Please help a novice. No ignition and I am losing sleep! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Adam

Please help a novice. No ignition and I am losing sleep!

Hi all,

I will try to sum this up as best I know how. I have a 67 coupe that was originally an auto, but now has a 400ci block connected to a super t-10 stick shift...

As of two weeks ago, the car started and turned over fine. Happy days...

I was looking to install a stereo (and new cig lighter) and had a rummage behind the dash to find the yellow and orange wires (I have been reading all the forum posts). I was excited to find both of these leads but also another connector with loads of bulbs attached going precisely nowhere.

I unplugged this connector block (orange, purple, yellow, green wires) but it was separately grounded with two black wires. These I disconnected also...

Go to start the car and nothing... Gen light comes on, but not turning over at all.

Pulled the ignition switch out the dash and believe that I have the purple, brown, yellow, pink and green all connected and still nothing.

With the key turned, my dad bridged the two connections on the starter motor with a bit of metal and it fired up instantly (apparently this tests the solenoid but don't know what he means by that?).

I then read some forum posts that the plug I disconnected was related to the centre console and may have interfered with neutral safety switch. I reinstalled the plug and re-grounded it. Still nothing!!??

What other troubleshooting ideas can I do? Or what steps can I go through to isolate issues with starter, ignition etc etc...

Thanks
Adam, from London England...

I spent a number of hours looking confused at wiring diagrams and eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Please help a novice. No ignition and I am losing sleep!

The two purple wires are solenoid power from the ign switch.
Being an OE automatic, the connector is more than likely the neutral safety switch and the two purple wires were jumpered together to complete the electrical path from ign sw to solenoid.

The other two smaller gauge wires are for the back-up lights as they also went through the NSS, pink is power, green is to the bulbs.

Your Father just jumpered across the positive battery cable and S terminal of the solenoid to energize it and engage the starter motor.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Had a similar issue with mine today- was starting fine previously, but today I was getting nothing when I turned the key. Turns out the little micro switch B&M puts on their shifter for neutral safety was cooked. I jumped the two purples together, and it fired right up. I's start there- those wires only get power when the key is in the "cranking" position.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 08:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Look at the top of the steering column under the dash near the firewall. There is a plug there.

...I know the feeling because mine comes loose every once in a while.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Had a similar issue with mine today- was starting fine previously, but today I was getting nothing when I turned the key. Turns out the little micro switch B&M puts on their shifter for neutral safety was cooked. I jumped the two purples together, and it fired right up. I's start there- those wires only get power when the key is in the "cranking" position.
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. You do not know how frustrating it is to have the car sat on my driveway and I can't drive it. It took me 6 months to get the registration through and I am so near, yet so far away from taking it on its maiden cruise.

Attached are some pics of the plugs. You will see where the console harness was grounded at the end where the bulbs are connected. What would the purpose of this be?

can I assume that if my dad jumped the car successfully (at the starter motor) that the ignition barrel is working okay?

There are some unknown plugs that I do not recognise, could this be anything do do with it, or should I focus my attention on this purple wire?

Thanks again
Adam

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9266801...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9266801...in/photostream
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodosh View Post
can I assume that if my dad jumped the car successfully (at the starter motor) that the ignition barrel is working okay?

There are some unknown plugs that I do not recognise, could this be anything do do with it, or should I focus my attention on this purple wire?
Nope- can't assume that- he jumped from the main starter lug to the solenoid, which energized it. The fact that the car started means that the ignition switch is working properly in the "on" position, but it doesn't mean the purple wire is getting power in the "crank" position, which is the only time it gets power.

I'd start by seeing if you have power at the purple wire at the ignition switch when in the crank position, and then move down the line. Check next on the ignition side of the neutral safety switch, then on the other side of the switch- that'll tell you if the ignition switch is bad, or if the neutral safety switch is bad.

If you've got power on both sides of the neutral safety switch, you've got a problem in the wire between the NSS and the starter solenoid.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Adam

Thanks Bob,

So if I take a test light-screwdriver thing, when cranking the car, I should see it light up.

Re the actual NSS, I am not sure what it looks like - is this housed in the console harness? if I was to bridge/short this, where would I bridge it from. The car is a manual now, so I don't need one.

Thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Yes- the test light should light up when the key is in the crank position. I'm not 100% sure about the exact location of the NSS on a manual- should be on the trans, I'd think. There should be a purple in and a purple out, so to bypass it, just tie those two purple wires together. That's what I did yesterday to determine that my NSS was bad.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Just insert a |_| shaped piece of wire into the NSS console plug to bridge the terminals.

Don't cut or tie anything.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 03:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The connector with the 2 solid purple wires should have gone to the NSS and one side should light the test light when the key is turned to start. If if does jumpering it as noted above should work. If not you need to trace back and find the problem. Have you checked your fuses? Do other electrical things like the headlights still work?

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

No idea connector is blower resistor block connector, maybe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 13, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I tried Ambien once but felt weird all the next day.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 13, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I tried Ambien once but felt weird all the next day.
HA - I took one in anticipation of a long flight and almost missed the plane. Whoops!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 13, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
The connector with the 2 solid purple wires should have gone to the NSS and one side should light the test light when the key is turned to start. If if does jumpering it as noted above should work. If not you need to trace back and find the problem. Have you checked your fuses? Do other electrical things like the headlights still work?
All I can see is the large rectangular plug attached to the harness on one end and a series of bulbs and wires on the other. There is also another plug with orange blue and yellow but I have no idea what that is. see http://www.flickr.com/photos/9266801...in/photostream

in terms of electrics, all seem to be working, lights (although that is another story entirely as the b4stard tail lights work whenever they feel like it) and wipers etc are working.

it is simply as though i am missing everyting except the ability to turn the engine over.
Thanks
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 13, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

I vote for Everett. The starter safety switch was jumpered and then disconnected.

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode