1 wire alt and oem front harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Garry

1 wire alt and oem front harness

Need a little advice. I am converting to a LS3 with the Vintage Air Frontrunner. Of course it came with a one wire alt. I was looking at the Mad electrical web site and was going to try the setup that has you run the alt output to a connection that is in the harness. I will then run a wire from the connector to the starter lug and then the battery wire will provide the charge path to the battery. I think Mad calls it the New Setup or something like that. My question is what do I do with the OE harness alt connection and the white, blue and brown wires that are in the harness. Just looking at things, it looks like I can remove the blue and white wire for sure, also the OE alt red wire output can also be deleted, but I do not know about the brown wire that goes back into the bulkhead fitting, back into the interior. I think it goes to the alt light on the dash, but does it do anything else? Does it provide any other function in the harness? I know that if I had it to do again, I would have tried harder to get a 3 wire with the front runner, and just made things easier, but I got what I got. Any advice? Thanks DZ434

AKA "Garry" 69 RS LS 376/525, 12 Bolt 4:11, DSE QuadraLink, T56 Magnum Transzilla Rockland Standard Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 13, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: 1 wire alt and oem front harness

You can just unplug the old voltage regulator and connect the one wire's connection either directly to the battery or to the horn relay bus bar. If doing the latter your factory ammeter will still function but you might want to upgrade the charge wire between the horn relay and battery. One of mine is wired the first way, the other with factory guages is wired the second. If you want to retain the gen light (non gauge car) I'm not 100% positive but there may still be a pin on the alt you can connect to. Also if you use an actual F body or similar alt the small charge wire that controls output is controlled by the PCM so it can be an ordeal getting it to charge right.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 10th, 13 at 10:47 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 13, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Garry

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the folks at Powermaster about the 1 wire and feel a little better aout the 1 wire. He suggested that I run a # 4 wire from my alternator output harness connection to the starter lug. That way the voltage drop to the battery would be minimal. I am making my harness connection between the Horn relay and the interior fuse box. I will run # 8 from the connection point to the horn relay and use the orginal wire going to the fuse box with the fusable link. Hope to have it powered up in the next few weeks. If I am not happy with the voltage, I am going to go back to the 3 wire voltage sensing setup. the folks at Powermaster said #47461 would work fine on the vintage air frontrunner. We shall see. Thanks again for the reply

AKA "Garry" 69 RS LS 376/525, 12 Bolt 4:11, DSE QuadraLink, T56 Magnum Transzilla Rockland Standard Gear

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 13, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Garry

Got the car running. Voltage at starter is solid 14v at idle. So far very happy with setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode