1969 Camaro console Temp gage question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

1969 Camaro console Temp gage question

Ok, I've searched and searched and I thought I found a thread with this information but I didn't bookmark it and now I cant find it again. So here's my question: I installed the factory console gages (didn't have them previously) and everything is working as it should, but I am wondering if anyone knows what values (i.e. 180F at this mark, 190F at this mark etc) correspond to the marks on the temp gage. I had a 180F thermostat in (350 small block) and the temp sender is in the head where the old dummy light sender was (so I know it will be a little higher than if the sender was at the thermostat), but with the 180 thermostat I was running about half way between the 1/4 and half mark and maybe a mark closer when hot. I was curious what that is on degrees if anyone knows. Also, I dropped a 195F thermostat in since I thought that would allow more time for the coolant to cool in the radiator before going back into the engine and it made it worse....on a test drive I was running at the half way mark and maybe a tick over while cruising.

So anyone have any idea what the temps would be at those areas of the console gage?

Thanks!!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: 1969 Camaro console Temp gage question

From what I've read no two gauges are the same, but this should help. In the last post Dennis added an additional gauge to test his console gauge. You'll never really know till you do the same and sensor in head or manifold will make a difference in the temp you see.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=console+temp
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 03:06 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Brian
The at points sound like the standard locations. Many people have changed the resistance on the rear of the the gauge by adding resistance to pull the pointer to the logical spot. You can also change the sender unit based on the specs in the post below:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...32&postcount=6

You can add to required resistor from Radio Shack to the the back to get the 180 mark where you want it very easily once you know your base line values of the sender your using now.

Water Temperature Factory Gauge values
220F = 101 ohms
210F = 104 ohms
200F = 118 ohms
190F = 133 ohms
180F = 152 ohms
170F = 172 ohms
160F = 194 ohms
150F = 225 ohms

So if you pull the chart in the posting above for 180 you get:
180 degrees: Wells at 135 ohms, LL at 101 ohms, GM at 140

So you would subtract the amount you have tested from your sender at given 180 degree running temp, from the factory gauge standard of 152 ohms, the difference is what resistor you would need from Radio Shack give or take a few.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Along with Brian's chart, you can always do a 'mental' gauge calibration by feeling the upper rad hose.
When the hose gets hot, check the gauge reading. The thermostat has opened.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks for the tips and info guys!! If all the gages are slightly different, then I think I will try to learn where the temps are on mine by feeling when the hose gets hot and seeing where the gage is....if it has a 180F thermostat in, then that should be 180-190F on the gage. I may also try buying a electric hot plate and heating water up and really nailing the temps down so I know where they are. The temp gage I removed when I installed the console gages had the numbers on it so it would be nice to get an idea of what is happening on this C/H gage. Thanks again for the ideas/help!!

I'll let everyone know what I find out when I get done!

Brian
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you have access to an infra-red thermometer you can take some readings at different locations (radiator tank, thermostat housing, cylinder heads, etc.) and then check where your gauge is indicating at the same time so you'll have an idea what those temperatures are when the gauge is at that same position.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Generally, GM has the 10 o:clock mark is 180°.
Noon is 210°, 2 o:clock is 240°, and far right mark is 260° - typically.
Thermostats OPEN at temp stamped, fully open at 10° higher.
Let us know what you find out in your science project.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Ok, just an update to this thread in case anyone wonders about this in the future. Tonight I replaced my sender unit and decided to figure out what temp is where on the stock temp gage. I used the sender unit and my grill and a pot of water and started with boiling water and went down from there. Here is what I found:

218F at one notch past vertical
200F at the Vertical hash mark
195F one notch in front of vertical
187F two from vertical
180F three from vertical
173 at the first large hash from Cold
162-167F one mark under the first large hash
159F between the 2nd and third mark
155F at the second mark
150F between the first and second mark
140-145F at the first mark
140F and less - under the first mark

Hope that helps some people know what their stock gages are at!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 07:25 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Brian - You should post the make and model of the sender since that set of calibrations would be respective to that sender.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Good idea! Ok, I got the threaded sender unit made for camaros with the console gage. I got it here: http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/rad-64.htm
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 10:18 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Does it have any markings on it such as Wells?

In any event search and you will find a thread so you can add Radio Shack resistors for a couple of bucks to put the pointer dead center if you like it there regardless of your sender - just need to use your Ohm meter to find out how much to add.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 15, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi All
Was searching TeamCamaro for info on where my Temperature Gauge should be reading, and came across this Post from a year ago.

I have not driven my car on the Highway yet, but it seemed to be running just to the Right of the 12 O’clock mark. No Hood or Fenders !

One of the things I noticed was some seem to try and put their Thermostat Deg. Rating with the Temperature their car should be running at.

A 185 Deg. Thermostat begins to open at that Temperature, not where your Coolant Gauge will be while running after it opens.

A car I believe running at 180/ 185 Deg. Is not up to Temperature. There are so many factors on why your Temp Gauge reads what it Reads.

I plan on doing what works on the Helicopters, we call Range Marks. We put Colored Tape Lines over the Glass/ Lens where we want to Read the Gauge or show a Min/ Max. Just a small ref. line.

That is what I will do, and I will use a Laser to see what Temps I am at.

And we do want to know when it is Too Hot –

Isn’t that why we have them to Begin with ?
So I do understand Why we want to know what the Lines Represent on our Gauge.

And things are different as much as they are the same today for Cooling Systems, Heat Source (Engine), Water Pump and Heat Exchanger (Radiator).

I was with Race Cars, both Gas and Alcohol – Combustion Temps I believe around 210+ are necessary to make HP.

I did want to throw out there I was NASE Certified all 8 Categories, later to become ASE thru my Schooling at a Tech HS and Denver Auto & Diesel back in the 70’s, but have been a Mechanic/ Flight Inspector on Blackhawk Helicopters for 37 years now.
I am Not and expert, I learn all the time at work and here at TeamCamaro.

Timmy

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 15, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Combustion Temps I believe around 210+ are necessary to make HP.

Timmy
I would submit that combustion temperatures are unrelated in great part to coolant temperatures and will certainly always be far hotter than 210 degrees. Ignition timing, air fuel ratio, compression ratio, spark plug heat range, etc play a much greater role on combustion temperatures. It really comes down to what works best with each individual setup as far as thermostat ratings go. The important thing in my opinion is to make sure you aren't getting moisture from condensation accumulating in the oil, beyond that, it's finding at what coolant temperature your engine performs best. I run a 160 thermostat in my SBC 406 and have no problems with moisture from condensation accumulating in the oil and the engine seems most happy with a 160 thermostat, but again, that's just my particular setup.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 15, 02:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Scott
Wow, Wrong word ! Coolant Temperatures – Sorry.

Yes, you are right about that, what I meant to say was that the Coolant Temperatures should be in the 210+ Deg. Range to make power.

And for your Engine running a 160 Deg. Thermostat, that is when it starts to open.

What Temperature is your Engine after a long run ?

There are a lot of other things that Contribute to Coolant Temps.

Long Runs on Hot Humid days, Traffic, Heat load from the Roadway itself, A/C, Auto Trans Heat being dumped into the Radiator, Thermal build – Can be the eventual “heat Soak” into adjacent Parts and so on.

I was trying to point out What you run for a Thermostat is not what your Engine Temp Gauge should read.

All good stuff, I thought I read thru it Carefully, Thanks Scott.
Timmy

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode