msd ready to run/blaster ss - no start?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

msd ready to run/blaster ss - no start??

hey guys i have a 69 camaro small block, it had a gm hei that ran ok, but it was too big and was smacking the firewall a bit.

i have replaced the hei with an MSD ready to run #8320 small block chevy distributor, i have used an external coil MSD blaster ss. i replaced both of the springs with the 2 lightest silver springs (as a reccomendation of my engine builder)

i hooked everything up (12v old hei power into the new MSD distributor).
i set the timing locked the dizzy down and the car ran great, i took it on a 20 minute drive, no issues at all.

then i parked it for 2 hours when back to start, no start. no spark at all??

i tested the coil and distributor are both getting full power. i took out one of the spark plugs and tried to fire and no spark at all coming from the plug.

i then tested the coil based on a test that MSD reccommends "You can check the primary resistance (plus to minus) .355 ohms and secondary (plus to center tower) is 4.4K ohms. This is a resistance test and with out a load bank the only test you can do."

SOURCE: http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8591

the coil pasted this test above with no isue.

what do you guys reccommend? it looks like to me a bad coil?? but after only 20 min run time??? wow.
at first i thought it was because i mounted the coil upside down, but supposedly the blaster ss coil can be mounted in ANY orientation. unlike the blaster 2 coils which have to be mounted vertically.

i took the cap off and cranked the motor, the distributor rotor IS turning.

any reccommendation on what to troubleshoot next??

thanks guys.

Last edited by m21man; Apr 17th, 13 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 08:10 PM
John

Garage
Re: msd ready to run/blaster ss - no start??

Do you have an #8360?

Probably a bad coil. Even though the primary test good the secondary could be bad.

I would try another one

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yea sorry the distributor is MSD #8360.

i will try to put in another coil tommorow. Although I cant believe it would fail after only 5 minutes of run time? wow.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 08:41 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21man View Post
Yea sorry the distributor is MSD #8360.

i will try to put in another coil tommorow. Although I cant believe it would fail after only 5 minutes of run time? wow.

Runs one time. Heats up cools off shorts out. Happens sometimes

Good luck with fix

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Move the coil, it is right above the header tube, heat rises.
Place the coil where OE design has it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Check and see if the old HEI wire you are using for power is run directly to the ignition spade on the fuse block in the car, or if it's connected to the old cloth covered resistor wire at the firewall. The new modules do not function well if they don't get a good 12V.

Also, I felt like the resistance of that coil was too low as it's specifically made for ignitions that have current limiting capability. MSD's application guide and instructions are kinda sketchy so I went with the epoxy filled Blaster canister coil and haven't had any problems.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

guys i replaced the coil, no start.

i exchanged the distributor for a new one at my local pep boys, the thing fired right up. these msd unit are crappy quality control. when i opened up the new unit there were small metal shavings everywhere unbelievable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Put the GM hei back in, and replace the trans mount with the high mount... check how the fan sits in the shroud...it should just clear the bottom by about 5mm

Quote:
MSD ready to run
This is massive propaganda marketing BS... there is no such thing...it is imposible to drop a random dizzie and have the correct advance at a given rpm and engine load for a given engine so the max explosion, (cylinder pressure) occures at a given piont for THAT engine between 12 and 18 deg ATDC +/- 2deg max.
Then throw in bore to stroke, compression , cam profile and fuel type as variations in timing...
Add to all that HEIs off the shelf are pre curved general ball park for EGR / pollution engines running very lean cruise ...
Further more, check out the current and recent threads on MSD ign..
And add to that multi spark is only for those who dont keep their ign system, leads, plugs etc in top condition, and only works at low rpms..
plus 3 colours in an engine bay is rule of thumb, a bloody ugly red box does nothing for looks other than bragging rights for when those not in the know are around.

PS I dumped an elcheapo GM type Chinese HEI in mine last yr, recurved etc, expecting to have no end of trouble.. knocked up around 8000 miles on it.
This is NOT one of the countfeit MSD units they mention on the MSD web site.
Only issue was a pin hole in the back of my water pump yesterday as I pulled into the workshop at morning tea...closest issue had... so far.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 13, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the thing runs great now. but im forecasting some issues in the future as i dont trust chinese crap haha. the only reason why i went MSD is because the engine builder that built the motor dyno's them with these MSD units and they know exactly what springs/bushing to put in etc...

i will keep the GM hei in my trunk just in case!

thanks for all the help trouble shooting guys!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 13, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
i dont trust chinese crap haha
Nore do I.. I needed a unit quick.. just suprised how it is doing as wore the HEI out.
But do keep hew orginal working pionts dizzie around as a spare

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode