Different 67 RS Hideaway Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Different 67 RS Hideaway Problem

I have spent the afternoon reading through nine pages of hideaway issues and haven't come across what I am experiencing. I think I have have it figured out but before I go buy parts, any insight would be appreciated.

The system hasn't worked since I bought the car. Last week, I pulled the headlight buckets and replaced the motors. I put everything back in, connected the wiring per the schematic and waited for the magic to happen. The passenger side opened and closes just like it should. The driver side didn't do either.

Looking closer, I could feel the motor pushing the DS door closed, until I shut the ignition off and then it would stop. Opening the door by hand and turning the ignition on would result in the door closing. I checked all the grounds that I could see and took some of them apart and sanded. I sprayed the limit switch plungers with cleaner and then WD-40. Nothing changed.

With the ignition and lights on and the motor pushing closed, I pulled the top wire on the core support limit switch and the motor stopped. I reconnected it and the motor pushed the door closed. I did the same with the switch on the light bucket and it also shut the motor off. Testing it a few times, the motor finally stopped trying to push the door closed. Thinking I had progress, I shut everything off and pulled the light switch and they both opened. I turned the ignition on and shut the lights off and only the passenger side closed. The driver's side was being pushed open.

I believe that the relays and circuit breaker are good and that one or both of the DS limit switches are bad. Am I on track?

67 Los 3L/4P L48 M20 with C60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 04:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Re: Different 67 RS Hideaway Problem

I would say yes.. And if I was you I would buy all 4 of the limit switches,and replace the ones on the core support also. Mine did the same but would open and close fine. But when closed it kept trying to close. I didn't catch it until I burnt up the motor. I don't trust the old system set up,even with new limit switches.So I'm going to put a toggle switch ( single throw double pole ) under the steering wheel on the dash to turn on and turn off the system when it is not needed. The main 2 wires that run it come threw the fire wall next to the fuse box. I think one is dark blue and the other wire is light blue. They run together through a rubber plug on the fire wall. I'm going to splice in there and add longer wire to run up to the dash. P.S I did find a way to fix my motor,and not have to buy the whole gear box set up for a 100.00
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Relays switch power/ground to both sides at the same time so if one side is working correctly they are fine. You can test the switches with a continuity meter or 12v and test light out of the ckt. If drivers side is trying to close while the lights are on i would think motor polarity on that side is backward. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 13, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

I replaced both limit switches on the driver side and it didn't fix the problem. As Melrose said, the polarity seems backwards on the DS. That would point to a relay, but from what I read, a bad relay would effect both doors.

The only difference that I notice between the sides is that when I open the (working) passenger side by hand, the door opens without engaging the motor. When I open the (non-working) driver side, the gears in the motor turn. Is this a clue?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 13, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

I have some really good reading stuff that I think you would like to have on a couple of files I can email you . Just PM me yr email address
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 13, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

I had the exact same issue with mine. Turned out the connector to the motor had been reversed which reversed the motor polarity, making it run backwards. I switched the connecter around, and it worked like a charm.
The connector was worn which allowed it to be installed either way....

good luck...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 13, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

KV - you hit it right on the head! My plugs are in great condition, so I couldn't reverse them, but I ran a jumper with alligator clips and reversed the wires that way. It works like a charm! Thanks! The leads coming from the motor are backwards! Aftermarket frustration!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode