Replacing headlight switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Replacing headlight switch

67 Rs I think the switch is about to go south on me never had to do this before can anyone tell me what or how to do it any help appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 13, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage
Re: Replacing headlight switch

Mike,
It is easier to do if you are willing to drop the speedo gauge cluster out first, just because it makes it easier to get to the harness and to the pin that holds the knob shaft in place. But to do this you need to also drop the steering column down by removing the two lower covers on the column just above the bottom of the dash. 4 screws. Then you can take the two nuts off of the column support brace that holds it in place. There should be a metal shim (lack of proper name) that will come out also with removal. Make sure you put it back in and in the same position as before removal. Don't let the column hang for very long without support because it may mess with the steering rag joint. I just tie it up after I remove the center gauge sectioin. Rag between paint and whatever you tie it up with. Remove the five screws that hold the main gauge cluster housing and it will pull out. Watch for any wires/connectors that might need to be unplugged and the speedo cable. On the side of the switch itself there is a pin on the side of it that you need to push in while you pull the light switch shaft out. It will not come apart unless you do this. There is a special little tool (cheap) that will remove the round bezel that holds the switch tight against the dash frame. I took a small needle nose plier and bent the tips to fit the two slots and it seemed to work just fine. I have seen others use a small screw driver or punch and tap the indentions to break it loose and have also witnessed it slipping and putting a scratch in the dash paint. This procedure also makes it alot easier to get to the harness for unplugging and especially for aligning it right when putting back together. Now if this seems too much, you can remove the driver seat and lay on your back and try to reach up in the top corner and get to all of this. I've done it both ways myself. I prefer the first way the best. Your call. And also, this is the perfect time to clean up your grounding area by sanding the back side of the dash where the switch goes through. Don't forget that star grounding washer! Good luck.
J.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode