Dealer added electric trunk release harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 13, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Dealer added electric trunk release harness

Does anyone know the route the dealer added electric trunk release harness traveled to the trunk - drivers side with the intermediate harness, or passenger side under the threshold?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Dealer added electric trunk release harness

Knowing the dealer, it was probably installed both ways depending on who did the install. I've got one sitting here I need to install. I'm probably going to use the driver side.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I installed mine driver side to follow the tail light harness cabling and keep it neat looking.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Chops
So you had enough harness to loop over and back to the glovebox or did you mount the switch someplace else?

Mine vehicle came to me with the button and harness intact but the electric latch mechanism had been replaced with a manual unit. I wasn't going to restore it but if I had a nickel every time I had to shut off and unlock the trunk and restart... I'd be rich. Then I found a full set NOS for almost nothing on fleabite a while back so I changed my mind.

When we worked on the bodywork back in 82 my buddy Jimmy pulled the harness and button on his shift so I can't remember but I think it was down the pass side. I think there was also speaker wires down that side along with power window line.

Does anyone have pictures? My button was on the drivers side of the glovebox but I replaced the cardboard box without documenting the location for the button.

If I remember the harness run was power from fuse panel to the button, button to the latch and that was the ground - in theory push and snap open goes the deck lid. I know it was a firebird option but can't find anything online about it's installation. Maybe Fisher did that?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Brian I have seen the switches mounted on the drivers side of the glovebox also, I just did not use or mount the switch.

I used a spare channel on my remote keyfob alarm/lock.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

that's a slick idea.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 15, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm back to this project on the list today. A few weeks back I tested the solenoid and it still worked just fine after sitting there disconnected since 82.

When I posted this thread two years ago I was going to run the harness up the drivers side with the other harnesses heading to the trunk, but in those two years I thought it over and figured I'd run it down the passenger side as the dealer or OO/PO had done when I bought the vehicle, and considering this was a Pontiac F body option figured it was good to follow GM Fisher loom routing theory.

Besides the passenger side will be closer to the glove box and only has the rear power window harness under the threshold to compete with. Also the vacuum trunk release option available on may GM models throughout the 60's and interestingly in the 68 AIM for Camaro but listed as cancelled, all traveled up the passenger side to the trunk. When GM moved to electric in 1969 they followed the same paths to the trunk for Olds, Pontiac and on the Chevrolet lines for Impala and Chevelle.

The real question here in this posting is does anybody have a 69 Camaro with original dealer installed electric trunk release, or any of you 69 Firebird folks with factory installed deck lid release that can shoot some pictures of the harness clips in the trunk and the glove box? Also a photo of the switch mounted in the glove box would be nice for reference.

The factory Firebird switch is much nicer than the GM Parts Counter Service kit/Dealer install kit had. Pontiac used a real push switch with chrome nut on the inside of the glove box insert to secure the switch. The GM dealer kit used a generic plastic yellow button with pressure fins to hold the switch against the cardboard.

Here is what I have for the harness clips, and switch and my testing loop harness attached. The power to the switch is in the car is pink and its currently on the battery sharing the clock pigtail. I'm not sure where dealer installed and Firebird factory installations pulled power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4693[1].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	114881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692[1].jpg
Views:	52
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	114889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4691[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	114897  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

A quick update on this project. Well the 1969 Pontiac Firebird AIM is surprisingly similar but different then it's Chevrolet cousin. The layout is cleaner less cluttered and less "hand written" but the reproduction is just as bad. But I was able to determine that the Fisher routing is up the passenger side, the button is in the top of the glove box to the drivers side and it then routes over tot he clock and piggybacks off that. Funny the Pontiac AIM refers to Fisher as the "Coach manufacturer" and "body supplier" in a couple places.

So Partyka Chevrolet followed the same paths when doing dealer installed electric trunk release, only placing the button on the drivers side top of the glove-box. I'm thinking the Pontiac true top side placement of the switch would prevent any accidental activation by shifting glove-box content in high G-Force turns.

I'll figure out this weekend which end of the harness is which.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode