left turn signal not turning off - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
frank

left turn signal not turning off

68 camaro, left turn signal works, but when i come out of the turn, the signal does not turn off. it works fine for right signal.. signals flash with no issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Re: left turn signal not turning off

Your left canceling spring is either broken or missing. They sell them at most parts stores in the help isle. I think Dorman makes them,very inexpensive. I had the exact same problem a couple years ago,works great now. You just have to pull your wheel to get at it.

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L30 327 View Post
Your left canceling spring is either broken or missing. They sell them at most parts stores in the help isle. I think Dorman makes them,very inexpensive. I had the exact same problem a couple years ago,works great now. You just have to pull your wheel to get at it.
X2

Just be careful as sometimes the plastic gets brittle and can break - if you are going to pull it I would get a replacement canceling cam before you just go to replace the spring. There are a few posts on the site with some decent instruction detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SB 406/700r4/3.55 posi/Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS/Delphi 600 Series PS Box/Holley Terminator EFI

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 06:36 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah an ounce of prevention. it is a PITA to pull the wheel, and to have to do it days, or months after you replace one side when the other one fails is a major kick. So if you open it up once replace the full cam and be done for another 40 years - or so you hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Have u had the wheel alignment done?
This is the most common cause as most wheel alignment guys these days dont know to LOCK the steering wheel straight forward THEN set up toe in etc..
They then remove the steering wheel, dont notice the splines only fit on 1 way, and wind he nut back down hard..
Result indicators dont return correctly.
Check out older threads on the subject.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 13, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

The lock plate on a 69 only allows a limited movement for the horn connection Steps. The wheel can't be turned more than a few splines if the lock plate is there. Take one apart and look.

Jeff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 13, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Mine, before I brought it, and the old HQ/ HK/HT GM holdens which are very similar setup many parts`interchange...common to have the center shaft dot off center and he teerig wheel straight, and indicators not work as they should.
As to "taking steering apart" why not check out my orginal threads/ posts 10yrs or so ago...when my camaro was`stolen and a`sledge hammer was used to smash the steering wheel, and damage from steering wheel right down into and including the steering box.
And check out other threads on wheel alignments and indicator issues

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode