Trunk battery wire routing - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Trunk battery wire routing

Guys putting the battery in the trunk for my rebuild. Just got aaw kit. Where did you guys route your wires through the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Trunk battery wire routing

Open pass door, remove 'Body by Fisher' sill plate, remove carpet stiffeners.
See the wide trough?
This is where I ran the cables from the kick panel to the trunk.
Out of the way and protected when all removed items are reinstalled.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 10:26 AM
Guess

Same here...
Up over the wheel hump inside conduit, down along the edge to that wire trough, then through a grommet in the firewall just below (and I mean JUST below!) the heater box, and out.

Hard to see them but they're right below the heater box, close to the engine. The BATT cable passes through it's own grommet... the rest through another one, and right over to the starter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

cool was not sure it was going to fit
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I am assuming that there is enough room to get behind the kick panel. It has been 2 years since I took the them out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Negative wire to tranny?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It is best to run a separate neg cable back to the battery.
But, you can cabkl from eng block to subframe and body and cable from a welded bolt on the unibody/trunk to battery.
Follow NHRA General Guidelines in mounting the battery in the trunk.
I used 3/8 threaded rod and bolted the rods through the frame rail using fender washers outside and a nut & lock washer for the battery box/frame inside.
Install battery, slap on a 1.5 -2.0 by 1/4 inch thick flat bar on top of the battery and use a thumbnut/wingnut with flat washer to tighten against battery.
Done. it ain't going anywhere.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 11:22 AM
Guess

Barely enough room with the multiple wires that needed to be run behind the kick panel.
The starter and other wires can be hidden pretty easily... but add in the fat BATT cable and it gets tight.

I didn't add a ground cable directly to the tranny because it's bolted to the engine... I just have a bunch of 3\4" wide braided ground cables going from the body to the frame, the frame to the engine, and the body to the engine on both sides. I also tied the front subframe to the rear frame rails with ground cables. I have frame connectors but everything is painted, and they're not welded in.
The NEG battery cable goes through the trunk floor and bolts to the frame rail.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

YOUR RIGHT THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ROOM VINTAGE AIR, MSD 6AL (UNDER DASH) AAW KIT FUEL PUMP RELAY.....aaaaaaaaaagggggggggg
BEST TO HAVE A COUPLE OF BEERS TO KEEP A MELLOW HEAD?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I would also like to go through the firewall by the starter also. Like the pics above. Gonna miss lead east this year.... Oh well
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I ran my wire as Everett (aka Jake) described, to a bulkhead connector under the heater box. I used 1/0 welding cable for both the pos and the ground. The cable tucks under the kick - I did not have to remove it.

From the firewall side of the BHC is a short run to the Starter. My charge wire connects here also, as well as a relay for the starter.

I used the car body for the ground path. Welded a nut to the subframe and a short 1/0 cable to the engine block. I have welded-in subframe connectors.

Regarding the ground, this from Mad Electrical -

"The battery ground (NEG) is connected to the car body at the rear. And up front, another short length 1/0 cable connects from body to the engine. This system uses the car body for the long intermediate length of the NEG side of the system all the way to the engine. (It’s actually more efficient than routing a heavy gauge cable all the way forward to the engine.) And this system insures that the car body is well grounded–which is very important. Lights, fans, gauges, and many electrical system parts are connected to ground at the body metal. The accessory systems work very well with this system."

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I ran several. Under the car, along the frame rail, near the fuel line, not in the car.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

thanks for the help guys.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 13, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

anyone have a good picture od the passenger kick panel w/ all the wires. how much am I going to have to cut?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 13, 02:06 PM
Guess

Cut? None... there's room for wires below the vent part that fits into the side cowl and the floor. Stack them on top of each other, so they're flat behind the kick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode