Time quote - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Time quote

Hi,
I've been quoted 28-35 hours to change complete wiring harness on my 67 RS/SS. Does this seem right? Interior is already out. Basic stock car.
Input appreciated.

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 06:41 PM
John

Garage
Re: Time quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebb1 View Post
Hi,
I've been quoted 28-35 hours to change complete wiring harness on my 67 RS/SS. Does this seem right? Interior is already out. Basic stock car.
Input appreciated.
I can do one by my self in a weekend. A fair price is about 1000-1200- plus around $550 for the harness.

Unless you all about "all original" I strongly suggest you go with an American Autowire Harness.

If you have the time, can use basic hand tools and can follow simple instructions you can do it yourself pretty easily.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks Vega.
I know I can do it myself but I'm so damn busy at work that the car sits and waits.
I figure it's time to bite the bullet and get someone else to do it. Then at least when I do have a little time, I can enjoy driving it. It hasn't been on the road in three years!! Just do not want to be ripped off.

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 07:31 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebb1 View Post
Thanks Vega.
I know I can do it myself but I'm so damn busy at work that the car sits and waits.
I figure it's time to bite the bullet and get someone else to do it. Then at least when I do have a little time, I can enjoy driving it. It hasn't been on the road in three years!! Just do not want to be ripped off.
Bring it to Vegas and we'll knock it out in a weekend. You'll save enough to pay for the trip

And that's Vega$. You know with the $ sign instead of a S. LOL

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm leaving now. Be there soon!!

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 05:00 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I agree with John - easy weekend project and if you want a GM original style harness American Autowire's Factory Fit line is what you want to look at. Their classic update line if your doing a mod/resto.

I can understand not having the time to DIY, so yeah figure 16 to 32 hours if the car is already gutted depending on experience. But again if you can find a weekend free and grab an extra set of hands it is a good project. A buddy and I did one in a very long day once to make a show deadline but that was insane and a lot of planning.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I have a '67 RS too and rewired the whole car last year (plus AC, plus PW, plus RD).

Yeah, the '67 RS harness is the trickiest because you have to mod the dash harness for the RS doors between the ignition switch and the headlight dimmer. Other than that, it's just a lot of work pulling and plugging. It might take as much time as you were quoted to do the entire 4 harnesses.

The dash/console harness is the toughest (it's not really tough, just time consuming) AND you have to put the interior back in to finish.

Think hard about getting the WAY better 12SI alternator and using the conversion light (as in, not the engine) harness from AAW.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 07:07 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I agree with John - easy weekend project and if you want a GM original style harness American Autowire's Factory Fit line is what you want to look at. Their classic update line if your doing a mod/resto.

I can understand not having the time to DIY, so yeah figure 16 to 32 hours if the car is already gutted depending on experience. But again if you can find a weekend free and grab an extra set of hands it is a good project. A buddy and I did one in a very long day once to make a show deadline but that was insane and a lot of planning.
From my experience what adds time is as you are doing the job you get sidetracked fixing other little things while your at it. This IMHO is a good thing.

So if a shop fixes these little things your cost of the job can skyrocket.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks guys,
What is the 12SI alternator and conversion light harness all about?
BTW I was going to use the classic update. I want minor mods for the headlight doors and ignition etc

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

Last edited by thewebb1; Aug 30th, 13 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Clarify
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Its where you run a 12SI alternator instead of a 10DN. The 12SI is internally regulated so you'll be able to s**tcan your regulator box (and wiring).

AAW has a light harness that incorporates the wiring/plug changes so you don't have to cobble/splice/cut your new harness to make it work.

Look it up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks, I"ll check it out

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode