Ballast resistor location - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ballast resistor location

Please confirm it doesn't matter where the ballast resistor is mounted? It doesn't need to be grounded correct? I could mount it to the manifold bolt, or drill a hole in the firewall? I'm guessing someone has found a good/easy place to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 04:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Re: Ballast resistor location

I was under the impression it is mounted where it is to be in the air flow of the blower so it doesnt burn out. The blower cools it....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The American GM have a ballast resistor..with heat sleving around the wire
The British / Aussie Sth Africa GM have a ceramic resistor thats usually mounted on or near the fire wall not too far from the coil/
It is not mounted in this position to "where it is to be in the air flow of the blower so it doesnt burn out. " but rather bnot to scorch or burn anything that may get close... no it doesnt get hot because of the thick ceramic casing

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How about here?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 10:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxquattro View Post
I was under the impression it is mounted where it is to be in the air flow of the blower so it doesnt burn out. The blower cools it....
Good advice for the Heater (blower) resistor.

I would mount the ballast resistor on the firewall away from the heat of the engine.

Jeff
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Good advice for the Heater (blower) resistor.

I would mount the ballast resistor on the firewall away from the heat of the engine.

Jeff
Funny how you read one thing and think another. I happened to be working on my blower resistor so thats what I was thinking when I responded!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Why not use a resistance wire instead of a ballast resistor, the resistor wire is the only way I've ever seen a 1st generation Camaro?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

NH69z-

Because this thread advised otherwise.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235178

Thoughts?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

There is no difference in using a resistance wire or a ballest resistor...other than if the resistance wire has been removed, a ballast as used in many Dodges, Fords, and as I mentioned above in Aussie/ NZ British GM Ford Vuaxells roots group European cars
The resistance wire would have been cheaper on the assembly line in most cases.... the main issue with restance wire is the need for heat sheild...and that the wire does have a tendency to oxidize over long periods of time... making replacement of the loom far more expensive.

There is no issue mounting the ballast resistor there.... thu the firewall is the usual area mainly due to it is that area that the ign wires tend to feed thru the firewall, and conviently located for the coil.....which in the case of points dizzy systems the wire between the coil and pionts is of a given length and size .....Given that GM have the dizzy at the rear of the engine...
The Aussie staight 6s where the dizzie is in the middle /side of the engine also have mounted on the firewall... convenient to thew loom thru the firewall.

The "argument "as to engine heat burning it out, just doesnt hold water....considering that the coiled wire inside gets way hotter than any engine heat could ever introduce to it...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thx for the great info. For wiring the ignition system, I currently have a pink (AAW kit) ignition feed wire from the firewall pass through to the ballast resistor. On the other side of the ballast resistor, there are two wires. 1. Pink ignition feed continuing to the coil (+). 2. Yellow wire that's supposed to go to the 'R' terminal on the starter.

The problem is...my starter doesn't have an R terminal. I assume that was a stock feature, but mine is a summit hi torque mini starter.

Where should this yellow wire go?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 11:16 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Your assumption is correct, that aftermarket mini-starter solenoid is missing the terminal that the yellow wire would normally connect to. The ballast resistor (or resistor wire if you were using that approach instead) reduces the voltage to the primary side of the ignition coil from the full 12-14 volts to 7-9 volts which reduces the arcing and burning of the ignition points, but in doing so creates a weaker secondary high voltage to fire the spark plugs.

Normally during engine cranking the yellow wire would send the full battery voltage to the primary side of the ignition coil creating a higher secondary voltage spark to cause the cold engine to start a bit easier. As soon as the engine starts and you release the ignition switch from the crank position to the run position, the ballast circuit provides the lower voltage.

You have at least the following four choices;

1. Tape off the end of the yellow wire that you have no connection point for with that mini-starter and if the engine starts okay on the resisted primary ignition coil feed, you are all set.

2. Replace the mini-starter or the solenoid on the mini-starter with one that has the extra terminal/connection point for the yellow wire and connect the yellow wire to it so it will function as the original GM designers intended.

3. Run the yellow wire to a momentary push button switch mounted under the dash that is supplied with full battery voltage so when you crank the
engine to start it, you can push the momentary switch causing full battery voltage to go to the ignition coil - you would be manually performing the function that the starter solenoid with the extra terminal does in this case allowing for a hotter spark only while pushing the momentary switch.

4. Get rid of the points and condenser ignition setup and replace with an electronic ignition system that uses the full 12-14 volts of the electrical system and in so doing, you will also eliminate the yellow wire and the ballast resistor.

Hope this helps,
Scott

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Scotts post above is excellent advice and background info... and I base that on personal practice and knowledge.. with a hi torque std starters and with pionts/ HEI combos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode