Blown my fuse box..? Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 14, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Teddy

Blown my fuse box..? Help!

I accidently touched a wire going from the battery terminal with constant 12V in my fusebox, to metal causing sparks. Now there is no power coming out of that terminal at all. Have I blown my fusebox and need to get a whole 'nother? Is there a fuse on the front of the fusebox that will be blown that I need to change? How screwed am I?!

Thanks ahead for your guy's help.

I'm dealing with the standard 68 camaro glass fuse box shown above, mine is not as rusty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 03:45 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Blown my fuse box..? Help!

First, welcome to TC.
Second, it sounds like a fuse-able link is toast. I'm not the most knowledgeable in the wire diagram dept., but I would look there first.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 04:49 AM
Team Member

It might be as simple as a blown fuse?

SSCARGO

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 05:14 AM
Kevin

Yes, fuseable links are one place to check, but you must inspect many more wires for melted insulation. But from the rust on those terminals, might be a good time to get a new one

The fuseable links are rubber cyls in a couple wires in the harness around the voltage regulator/horn relay. Look at them carefully. The chassis power comes from the pigtail on the postive terminal, then goes back around the battery to the junction box (just a stud on a plastic base) where the harness is attached. The harness and pigtail are attached to the junction, then the power goes to the horn relay, then out to the fuse box and other parts. Start from battery and tray the lines checking for 12v until you find the bad/melted wire.

But most times a short will cause more damage and more compromised insulation. I would recommend getting a new harness. Safer that way. Good luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 06:24 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Teddy -sounds like you are saying no power on that one circuit but power to the rest of the system? If right then check the fuse beside the spade sparked. If that is it then breathe a sigh of relief. If more then that one circuit is effected then look at links as suggested, and also check the one in the main junction behind the battery.

If the 40 something year wiring is in sound shape vendors such as Lectric Limited will create an repair kit with new fuse panel for you. Or if you are brave, disconnect, remove the face plate from the assembly and soak it in Evapo-Rust and see what cleans up. Or as suggested head on over to American Auto Wire for a factory fit wiring harness, or modified update version if you want to go with blade style fuses. M & H also makes great stuff http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/CAM_2012_Camaro.pdf

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Teddy, I agree with Doug G. GM called it a resistance wire. You can find the electrical schematics in the factory AIM. Download from here if needed.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9433.0

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I don't think that pic is of the OP's box. He said his is "no where near that rusty"...

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Yes, fuseable links are one place to check, but you must inspect many more wires for melted insulation. But from the rust on those terminals, might be a good time to get a new one

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Teddy

Just to follow up incase somebody years from now made the same mistake and should come across this thread. (Unlike the guys who are like "I got it!" and you're sitting there with the same problem like, GOT WHAT? WHAT DID YOU DO)

I did find the problem and sighed one of the biggest sighs of relief! It was just the fuse that was next to the battery post. Went to monument and picked up a pack of 20 amp glass fuses, and a whopping $2.50 later I had a working 12v constant terminal and a non completely blown fuse box.

Picture below, not my fusebox specifically but one of a 68 camaro's, shows the exact fuse that blew. The 20A fuse to the left of the battery term.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 08:35 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Teddy - thanks for the update. I like when the original poster ties up their threads with resolutions so future searchers don't have to revive a resolved thread with the inevitable "How'd you fix it?" post.

Glad your solution was so easy and so inexpensive.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 03:56 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Great to hear... a simple fix

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good for both, fixing it and for providing the end to the thread.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode