Team Camaro Tech banner

rear lights on all the time?

734 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Steiner 
#1 ·
Finishing up on my LS swap and when I hook up the battery the rear lights come on immediately...even without the key in the ignition. Any ideas how this might be happening? The only time I touched that circuit is when I unplugged it at the trunk to change out the tank. Somehow the rear lights are getting constant power with the battery hooked up??

#3 ·
Well... what do you know…i pull on the pedal and the lights go out? So the wire is hot all the time and the switch makes the circuit when the pedal is pushed?? So bad switch or more resistance from the pedal on the switch???

Thanks Steiner:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Yes it is hot all the time. Could just be loss of vacuum in the booster and the pedal sagged enough to trip the light, if after you fire her up the pedal doesn't hit top then adjust the switch or replace it if it is bad.

#5 ·
You bet, Don. The switch is threaded and you can adjust it down using the jam nuts on either side. Since it's plastic sometimes it'll just get wore out and the pedal hitting it all the time can drive it backward in the nuts.

Non-power cars have a return spring on the pedal.
Power cars return on their own, but if you find that it's just not coming back quite all the way you can loosen the jam nut on the clevis, grab the booster rod with pliers (or it might move by hand), and unscrew it some from the clevis which will drive the pedal up further. You just don't want to drive it hard against the stop and keep going or it'll start to apply the brakes. There probably isn't enough thread available to do that anyway but who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.