67 Camaro Wiper motor wiring/Test - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 Camaro Wiper motor wiring/Test

So on my 67 I picked up a new motor. I installed it a while back but it did not work. i have been working on other things and the wipers have been waiting. Im now trying to figure out whats causing it not to work.

I put a test light on the motor and when i turned the switch on the light would work. Is there a way to test the motor to see if it kicks on? I have pulled it back out, and I have my switch removed but the wires still installed. I only have a test light, my voltmeter died and I won't be buying one for a few days. So my ultimate question is there a way to kick the motor over to see if it works in the first place?

Justin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: 67 Camaro Wiper motor wiring/Test

Oh also its a three tab motor. I don't have the washer motor installed

Justin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I think the switch has to be grounded (where it mounts to the dash). 12v is sent from the fuse block to the wiper motor, then the switch acts as the ground in the circuit.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah its been grounded, I just unattached it to inspect, i have a ground wire hooked to the housing now that it is not attached.

Justin
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 06:49 PM
John

Garage

No wires connected
Jumper 12v battery to wiper 12v terminal. Ground other tabs one a time and wiper motor will run if good.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hmm are you saying with nothing else attached to the motor, attach 12 volts to the tab, then ground the other two tabs indivuidually? I tried doing that, and all I got was some mild sparks where I touched the ground. This is with the motor sitting on the floor.

Justin
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 07:48 PM
Tech Team
David

Don't ground the other tabs, ground the motor housing.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 14, 08:35 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses david View Post
Don't ground the other tabs, ground the motor housing.
Grounding the housing with 12v hooked up won't do anything.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 06:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

If you look at this AAW wiring diagram- http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%206.0.pdf you will get a better understanding of the wiring of the windshield wiper motor. The motor gets its 12V power from the yellow wire (regardless of whether it is mounted on the car or on a test bench). The wiper switch is normally mounted into the dash and provides the "ground" for the circuit. The switch is mounted to the metal dash (which is the ground) and when the switch is selected to whatever position (Off, Low High, washer) it will ground that particular circuit at the motor. Like John (Vega$69) said, if you apply 12V to one side of the motor and then ground either the black (low speed) or Light blue (high speed) wires then the motor will operate (if it is functional).

Some of us have installed a newer type conversion wiper motor like the Detroit Speed Selecta Speed one. It is the same wiper motor as a 99ish cadillac and has 7 speeds. The main difference between this one and the old style one is that the Caddy one, power is routed through the switch and the wiper motor acts a the ground (internally).

Chris
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 06:23 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

One of our members posted this bench test diagram a while back. See if it helps you bench test your wiper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 69 wiper bench testing diagram.jpg
Views:	3689
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	80841  
pietenpol likes this.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 06:32 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
One of our members posted this bench test diagram a while back. See if it helps you bench test your wiper.
As you can see if you have 12v to the motor (in or out of the car) and ground blue or light blue terminal with a jumper the motor will run.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Edi to my post- The 12v wire is the white one (not yellow).

John, you going to be around this weekend?

Chris
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 14, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Remember that the motor itself has to have a good ground to the firewall. It has a grommet with a ground built in. That has to have a good contact with ground. So, even if the motor works out of the car in a test circuit, it may not work installed. Check that and the switch ground...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 14, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

Hey Guys not trying to Hijack but I got questions about kinda the same thing. The previous owner did not see any point in wipers and I am starting with a kinda blank slate here! I have a 68

let me plz ask these questions.

Which way on the switch is off and which way is on? All the way clockwise (to the right) is OFF??? or is that position on/high? Hope this makes sense.

ALSO I took a few pics - in the wires in the pic can u guys help me identify which is what? The Solid blue wire is longer so I assume it was for something else? This is how they were when I got the car. You guys talk about the 3 wires being 12V power from the yellow or white wire, the black (low speed) & Light blue (high speed). In my pic the wires that I think are for the wiper motor are the Black with Light blue stripe, Black with Orange stripe, & orange with black stripe. That dose not match with what u guys have bin saying???

I seem to have power to the water pump but not to the wiper motor? Are they on different circuits from the fuse box?

I also dont understand about grounding the motor? The motor mounts with rubber bushings so how can that provide a ground?

That's about it - I think the info already posted answered all my other questions. Diagram was MOST helpful!!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 14, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
Which way on the switch is off and which way is on? All the way clockwise (to the right) is OFF??? or is that position on/high? Hope this makes sense.
Fully counter-clockwise/to the left is off. First notch to the right is low, second is high speed. Push for washer. When you push, the switch will rotate to low.

Quote:
ALSO I took a few pics - in the wires in the pic can u guys help me identify which is what? The Solid blue wire is longer so I assume it was for something else? This is how they were when I got the car. You guys talk about the 3 wires being 12V power from the yellow or white wire, the black (low speed) & Light blue (high speed). In my pic the wires that I think are for the wiper motor are the Black with Light blue stripe, Black with Orange stripe, & orange with black stripe. That dose not match with what u guys have bin saying???
Those multi color wires are not original. If you look at the fuse block in the engine compartment, the wires for the wiper motor and washer are across the top left. From the top left corner:

Black - Low speed
Dark Blue - Wash
Light Blue - High speed
Below the Black is Yellow - Power

Quote:
I seem to have power to the water pump but not to the wiper motor? Are they on different circuits from the fuse box?
No, they both get power from the Yellow wire. The Yellow wire actually should have two connectors on it and connect to both the motor and washer.

Quote:
I also dont understand about grounding the motor? The motor mounts with rubber bushings so how can that provide a ground?
There is a ground in one of the grommets. You should see a tab running from it to one of the rivets on the motor. That grounds the grommet. The grommet gets grounded when the screw touches it and the firewall. Make sure there is good contact between all of that. The wiper switch also needs to be grounded well through the body to the dash. This is what controls the motor.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode