wiring color code - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
thefley

wiring color code

I am in the middle of changing out the gauges to Dakota Digital VTX with center console gauges so now I need to know what the color the original wires are that I will use to hook to DD module.. anyone have an easy to understand graph or a sheet to show what the colors were to where

someone had installed a horse shoe shifter and center console gauges but never wired them in. so I see 4 wires from the horse shoe shifter that go nowhere, can someone tell me where these go as well?

First Gen Camaro Connections on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: wiring color code

Are you using the factory dash harness or aftermarket? Are you using the factory wires in engine compartment for the senders or the DD ones? I mounted the DD control box right behind where the speedo/tach go. I can post a couple of pics to show you what I did. BTW, I was the guy that posted pics up on Facebook for the shifter wiring.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Lyle

wires to the neutral safety switch on the shifter are as follows:

Pink power into backup lamp switch, Green switched power out to lamps.
Purple/White starter power from ignition switch to park/neutral switch, Purple to Starter.

I'm guessing that the cut off pair with one orange wire is for a lamp at the rear of a console.

1969 Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
thefley

Thanks guys. And thanks Chris I printed those pics off.

The plug that went into the back of old gauges will also be the wires and colors Ai will also need to know. Years ago I had seen a post describing what each one under dash was for. Not the complete car wiring harness diagram.

Any thing helps. I found 68 build manual online but didn't break it all down that far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 02:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Here is how I mounted mine (behind the steering wheel). I just used a sheetmetal screw to secure the bottom hole on control unit to the dash, Seems pretty secure.. I have the VHX with everything together, do the vhx console gauges connect with a CAT 5 wire between the control box and console gauges?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	81306  

Chris
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Look at this one- http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%206.0.pdf Although it is for an AAW harness, the information for the wire colors are there. Good luck!

Chris
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
thefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Here is how I mounted mine (behind the steering wheel). I just used a sheetmetal screw to secure the bottom hole on control unit to the dash, Seems pretty secure.. I have the VHX with everything together, do the vhx console gauges connect with a CAT 5 wire between the control box and console gauges?
I noticed you have two wires going to the "ACC Power" OR is that the "TACH" that has both going to it on the module?, why 2 and what are they for or from?

or do they both sharing slot for tach? just hard to see on phone

yes the console gauges also connect to the module with cat 5

Thanks THefley

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
thefley

Quote:
Look at this one- http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%206.0.pdf Although it is for an AAW harness, the information for the wire colors are there. Good luck!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! this is what I needed!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I am using 2 wires (pink and orange) in the the one slot, pink (from dash harness) for control module power and the other one- orange (I added that, not from dash harness) to power up the BIM module (it takes the readings off of my LS3 PCM (you probably don't have that). The BIM module (you can see it just right of the control module) takes the tach, oil pressure and water temp readings off of the PCM, pretty nice and less wires to run.

Chris
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
thefley

Quote:
I am using 2 wires (pink and orange) in the the one slot, pink (from dash harness) for control module power and the other one- orange (I added that, not from dash harness) to power up the BIM module (it takes the readings off of my LS3 PCM (you probably don't have that). The BIM module (you can see it just right of the control module) takes the tach, oil pressure and water temp readings off of the PCM, pretty nice and less wires to run.

Thanks. I have a gray wire from my MSD Ignition running to tach on module. With center console gauges. About to post a couple more pics with guest on on wiring to module and wires I have left. Instructions confusing and no real directions on em.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 07:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

You might want to think about where you are going to mount the 2 function buttons. I ended up putting them just to the left of the dash carrier on the lower side of the metal dash. I did have to extend these button wires to reach the module. I will try and take a picture and post up later. Setting the gauges up took some time but was able to figure out after a couple of times trying. You have to set up each gauge (parameters, sending unit type, ext). I have not setup the warning limits of the gauges, another cool feature of the system.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode