gas gauge works great SOMETIMES?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

gas gauge works great SOMETIMES??

gas gauge in dash works perfect one minute, next time i drive the car it is PEGGED out to the max right side?? maybe a ground issue? anyone have any ideas? i did locate the ground to frame coming from tank sending unit, and clean it up and re-mount to frame, with no results....anyone? thanks, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Re: gas gauge works great SOMETIMES??

Possibly the sending unit is bad.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

When you located the ground to frame coming from tank sending unit, and cleaned it up and re-mount it to frame, how did the connection of the terminal look on the wire. This connection as well as others has to be good. The ground wire then goes up to a tab on the sending unit and it too is a crimped connection and there may be an issue there as well.

There is also another connector in the trunk that may also be poor.

If all of these are good, then chances are the tank will have to be dropped to further check things.

You could just as a temporary test to make sure things are good forward from the trunk, to and through the gauge, is to disconnect the sender wire in the trunk and securely ground the side of the wire that goes forward towards the gauge. The gauge should then be on empty or below. Now go out and drive it around and if it stays on empty then chances are even greater that the issue will require the tank to be dropped.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 07:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The troubleshooter here will help you isolate if it is wiring, sender or gauge. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

Let me know if you have any questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 04:10 AM
Tech Team
Dave

I recently had the same problem after replacing my gas tank with a spectra EFI tank. I thought it was the sender so I took everything apart and tested the sender and it checked out just fine. Doing the ground test by grounding the connector in the trunk and wiggling the wires in the trunk, I found that the gauge wire itself had an internal break. I replace the section if wire and all was fixed.

In the end I spent half a day taking the tank in and out when the real problem was a 47 year old wire that got pinched.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 06:23 AM
Retired
Jim

Also Rick, what year camaro?

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

this is a 1969 camaro.....gas gauge works great at times, but lately..(more times than not), it is just pegged out to the right way past full....i looked in trunk last night for a ground that might be coming off of sending unit, but didn't find anything in the trunk that didn't seem related to tailgihts, etc...???? what wire am i looking for in the trunk?

Torch, are you saying you had a bad wire at the gauge itself?? thanks for all the replies so far! I WILL FIND THIS SUCKER! LOL..Rick
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 05:48 PM
Tech Team
Dave

My problem was the wire itself in the trunk where it went by the cocktail shaker.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 14, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The troubleshooter here will help you isolate if it is wiring, sender or gauge. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

Let me know if you have any questions.
69-Pace....thanks so much for this advice...i followed it step by step last night, and it worked out that my fuel sending unit has apparently lost it's will to live..LOL the test for the wiring and gauge forward went perfectly as described...checked the ground down by the tank strap, and even rigged a temp ground...NOTTA....then checked ohms (resistance on sending unit, and they didn't jive at all with an almost full tank...actually read in 10ths. SO, the question is what sending unit to go with, i have heard good and bad about some of the aftermarket units..do i cough up almost 200hund for original replacement??? any advice from ANYONE would be appreciated! thanks again...Rick
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 14, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I had an original sender in my 74 years ago and it was bad, or so I thought, but I only tested between the top pin where the push on connector goes and the ground tab where the ground wire attached to. I was about to replace it but dug deeper and did more tests and found a problem and after I fixed it, the sender still works perfectly today.

The topside pin passes through an insulator and then sticks out on the underside of the assembly which would be inside the gas tank. This pin then has a flat strap on it with a hole in the middle of it on that end and when it was assembled it was held together with a push on clip. Lower on down this strap it is then inside of a plastic insulator and further down it then connects to the variable resistor can. On mine I showed no continuity between the topside of the pin and the flat strap. Turns out this pressure fit between the flat strap and the pin with the push on clip had corroded. I carefully cleaned the strap and the pin and was able to use my soldering gun to heat the joint and flow solder between the pin and flat strap thus allowing it to make a solid electrical connection. I tried removing the clip but it's made to go on one way and lock and would not have been easily removed.
After this I checked the sender again and it worked as originally designed. So far after 15+ years this repair has held up just fine.

If you do get a new sender, check and recheck it to make sure it's working before you put the unit in the tank and fill the tank with fuel. I've heard of poor quality control on some out there.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 14, 10:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

For the most part GM's are out there new and NOS. The reproductions for the two line are fairly reliable these days and affordable.

I strongly recommend before installing the new unit in the tank that you hook it up and test lead ground it and see what Ohm's it is putting out and see how fast the gauge responds.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 14, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

well, my original engine 350 only has a one line fuel sending unit...are you saying that the reproductions are not reliable for this application? when i get the new unit, what is the exact procedure to test it? can it be done without hooking it up to gauge? (before i drop the tank, etc) thanks guys!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 14, 04:24 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No but I only have personal experience with the dual line senders out there recently. As anything these days avoid the lowest price grey box unit you find on offer. I bought mine through Ricks if I remember right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode