turn signals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Angry turn signals

ok so I have not been on this site for some time. 2 grand kids and other issues(heart). Got the 69 done with a Summit wiring harness. now all of a sudden no turn signals and lost both break lights. i started with the fuse and flasher still no turn signals. Replaced the turn switch in the steering column..nothing lost any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 01:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: turn signals

Well I would trace power from brake switch to intermediate connector under the dash/kick then out to trunk. Check grounds at front turn signals and check the flasher under dash by radio. Do you have working hazard flashers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Rear brake lights and turn signals circuits work in conjunction with each other... something that was unique to American cars and never understood why.
It a pain in the butt setting up trailer light wiring in countries the American system is not generally used... easy trick is to wire for american and use trailer light lens that can be turned over.

u NEED and a volt/ ohm meter and follow thru as Brian suggests above, and without a circuit good diagram u will be banging your head against a brick wall trying to figure out what is going on and what should be....there is a sticky thread here with some very good colour circuit diagrams.
Also a bad ground will do what u describe.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Brian I lost everything to do with flashers; turns and hazards. if you wanted to turn left you had to reset turn signal. right was fine, then one day I noticed I had solid right turn signal and had to move turn signal lever to make it flash, then everything went. no turn, flashers and lost only left stop. now i have lost both stop lights. replaced fuses in both stop and turn, flasher relay, and the turn signal switch in steering column.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 03:51 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

And the second flasher unit for the turns under the dash by the radio? Replaced too?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

just looked dont see another flasher under radio
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 04:19 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Should be mounted to the dash support by the ashtray housing and the radio if original wiring or factory spec replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Check your bulbs. These old cars act funny if the bulbs burn out or lose a ground... Heck, I've heard of the socket contacts getting dirty and causing problems. That and the grounds in the front light assemblies.

Also, my turn signal switch wires got chafed and cut. I took it all apart, cleaned it, repaired the wire, and put it back together. Might be something to look into. All that stuff goes through the switch, obviously.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Check out this wiring diagram and see if it helps.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

I have been trying to send this attachment with my post. It a diagram of the instrument panel. Maybe it will help.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

This is the third try if it don't work this time I give up.

Last edited by Cdminter55; Aug 25th, 14 at 09:51 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

Smile Re: turn signals

i do have the diagrams that you sent me along with the Fishers and Summit diagrams. All the bulbs are new and work with the headlight switch as they should but no turn signals or stop lights now.It seems strange that they work right one day and slowly quit working. If it was just the turns I would not have any problems driving it with hand signals but with no stop lights scares me. I have been hit twice in my truck pulling into my driveway so with no stop lights..... I hate to think what would happen with the 69.

on a lighter note we took best car at Roosters in Canton Oh. last Monday. Largest crowd for them at over 275 registered cars.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 09:49 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Chris - Okay let me recap and then theorize:
You have parking light front and back. You do not have turn or hazard or Brake lights.

As stated by others above - If true the one common element is the $2.00 plastic brake light switch since the hazard/turn are routed through so the flash will stop when brakes are applied.

You can shunt around the switch with test leads and if everything works as should be the Brake light switch is at fault and is an easy replacement.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chris

thanks we will run a test on the break switch
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 12:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The brake switch/light circuit is separate from the turn and hazard circuits, as far as power is concerned. They all do go through the turn signal switch, though...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode