Gas Gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Gas Gauge

I just got a 68 and the gas gauge worked fine when I test drove it. It was delivered and after I put the first full tank of premium fuel in it the gas gauge pinned past full at the 3:00 position and will not move. I found lots of threads on here on what to do to troubleshoot it but on my way home from a car cruise in last night when I turned the lights on the gas gauge went to about the 3/4 full position which is correct for the amount of gas in the tank.

So does this sound like a ground issue and if so where should I start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 03:01 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Gas Gauge

Could be. 67 & 68's dash clusters are notorious for bad grounds. Most add a single wire from the housing to the frame. The existing ground looks like a paperclip at the top. Tighten the cluster screws and see if that re-establishes the ground if not use a test lead to confirm poor ground and proceed with an additional grounding wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Ok I checked out the cluster gauge and its passes the tests. I redid the ground on tank strap and the harness and I am now getting a consistent 85ohm although I only have about 10-12gal of gas in the tank. The gauge is showing about 3/4 full now instead of past full.

My question is should the gauge return to empty when the key is off and out of ignition? Does 85ohm seem too high for less than a full tank?

Next trip out I will fill it up and see what happens

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 04:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No in most cases it just stays where it was last.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

excellent...maybe I fixed it or at least its closer to correct.

Now it wont run right though...something is up with fuel or carb. Not sure how to begin this diagnosis. Been running great now all the sudden out of no where wont run for ****.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 03:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

The last thing you did was put gas in it. Bad gas????

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 03:30 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Or maybe you stirred up the muck at the bottom of the tank and the sender intake sock is clogged or the filter at the carb is clogged?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

It was 93 octane from BP and ran good through about 10 gallons.

Now I did put a wooden stick into the tank to see if the float needed a bump so I definitely could have stirred the 45 year old tank up. I will take the filter off today and see what make and model and if I can clean it. I think its a Demon filter.

Where is the sender intake sock located? in the tank?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 04:29 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotHP68 View Post
It was 93 octane from BP and ran good through about 10 gallons.

Now I did put a wooden stick into the tank to see if the float needed a bump so I definitely could have stirred the 45 year old tank up. I will take the filter off today and see what make and model and if I can clean it. I think its a Demon filter.

Where is the sender intake sock located? in the tank?
Yes it is on the pick-up tube inlet and in most cases once the engine is off the muck for the most part drops off and you again get fuel flow. It is a drag to drain and drop the tank so you could follow the service manual's procedure to disable the coil, disconnect the line at the carb and then crank the engine to see the fuel flow rate. Extreme but you really need to know if it is a fuel delevery issue or a carb/tune/ignition issue. BUT I would start with the visual inspection of the carb side fuel filter first then the timing, spark side and if no obvious issues there look at fuel delivery issues with the pump then back to the sender.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

thank for the input. I posted the issue in this thread under engine. I do not believe fuel delivery to be the issue

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=298722
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode