Mallory Unilite Module repair - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

Mallory Unilite Module repair

G'day all

Repaired a Mallory unilite module for a friend. See links for info if you need to repair one also.
Andrew
http://au.element14.com/internationa...?ref=lookahead

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps282885ad.jpg

http://www.irf.com/packaging/_/N~1njchu#tab-tab2

Last edited by 69-Pace; Aug 16th, 14 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fixed broken links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 05:21 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Mallory Unilite Module repair

Andrew your photobucket photo is missing - displays as just a gray box, but nice SS396 before it. Your third link is broken with an "unknown error".

Maybe type up a detailed process for others to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Good job on the repair.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

The picture shows the module opened, you can see the IGBT (part number IRGS14C40LPBF). The fault was no spark. I measured with a digital multimeter, negative lead body gnd or neg battery terminal. Positive lead to the -neg of the coil. When you insert a piece of paper between the two posts of the unilite module it should be the around 12 volts (whatever you current battery voltage is). Remove the paper it will drop the voltage to betwen 1.5-2volts and the coil will fire a spark. If this does not happen i would suspect that the IGBT is blown.
Remove module from distributor and clean off the heat paste. (use long nose pliers to squeeze tab on pin in connector to allow pin removal) On the underside of the module, i just used a drill bit by had to remove the two securing posts a little to enable the cover to be opened. I found this one was shorted between the two legs on the IGBT(used diode check function). To remove, cut both legs and use a soldering iron to heat and remove. Install a new IGBT with aid of soldering iron.
Test module again. If okay install back into distributor, use heat paste. (I sealed the cover on the module with a little super glue)Feed the pins through distributor and open up the tab on the pin that was squeezed close and then install back into plug.

If the IGBT is damage. You will probably see it is cracked and it should smell like burnt plastic

The IGBT only cost me $6 plus freight. It is worth a try if you have an old defective Unilite module

I would also recommend the use of the ballast resistor with the distributor and the + coil connected to the load side. Also connect the r terminal of the starter to the load side, to provide full battery voltage when starting.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 04:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Thanks Andrew.
Making this a sticky.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Usually, these modules fail because someone mis-advised a user to run them without any resistor/resistor wire in place, on full battery voltage4s.

Uni-Lite modules want to run on voltages between 6.50 and 9.50 volts, no higher. The way they like is to use a STOCK coil with STOCK resistor in place to the coil, then, the MOPAR .60 ohm resistor between the coil + feed and red Uni-Lite input wire, double resisting the setup.

Over voltage feeding a Uni-Lite will do nothing but blow it up, proven time and time again. These units do not drive any "perf" coil over what a dead stock coil will do, and they do not like excessive plug gaps, they fail when the gaps get above .035 maximum.

Uni-Lite units are the best drop-in units there are, but, they need to be resisted correctly to 'live long and prosper'.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Did you T/S this in the car or on the bench? If on the bench a power and ground wiring diagram would be appreciated much. I need to check the Unilite I picked up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

If you have a Unilite and its been a problem blowing modules and still blows them after installing the inline surge suppressor Mallory sells. You CAN replace the unilite module with a Pertronics module and do away with the super sensitive unilte module. Pertronics sells a conversion for the unilites and it works like a charm.

The Mallory module is too sensitive to grounds and transient voltages in my opinion. Even with the right resistor. The fact that Mallory came out with a "surge suppressor" for them tells me they know they have issues. If they require a surge suppressor then it should be included with the distributor and NOT sold separately. IMHO

http://autoplicity.com/products/2334...Fa1m7AoddGsArQ
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 17, 10:23 PM
Chuck

Andrew J
on your link which part is (part number IRGS14C40LPBF) your link shows 2 but don't see that number on link?????????
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

IGBT? whats that stand for?

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode