67 wire harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

67 wire harness

I recently started working on my 67 rs/ss again after a long drawn out divorce and custody issues ...btw kept the cars and the kids so its all good now ! but this car ! I love it!! but I don't want to call the attorney on it and divorce it! lol... anyways I have
1) no tach working
2) no fuel gauge working
3)no wiper motor working
fuel guage I ground it at trunk and the gauge goes from full to empty and I know there is at least 1/4 tank
so it am looking at the harness and under the hood and it am not positive but I believe it may be the wrong harness to tach& wiper motor what wire colors and how many wire should be going to tach? it may be for a non tach car... it had a standard dash cluster in it when I bought the car back in 1992 ! I have been searching old posts an diagrams but I am confused ?
all dash lights work and all gauges on console work except gas guage ! and tach? when I bought the car it was an ex drag car and tach was gone but all wire harness were there untouched under dash with no splices inside I believe its all original .. does all those items not working get power through printed circuit board? if I have correct harness ? any help would be appreciated ! thanks mike

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Re: 67 wire harness

I take that back ! wiper motor has power but no mech movement

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

oh and the horn makes a click sound and no horn sound

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech

check to make sure all the grounds are clean, the horn could be frozen up one of mine did the same thing and then quit making any noise at all. How long was the car sitting and was it inside? Just wondering if moisture could be a culprit.

Rich

67 that is asleep right now but is somehow my dream
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

I went through all grounds as far as I know ! they all seem to be good I have lights on dash and console if ground was an issues I don't think I would have lights right ?signals work ! hazards work ! clock works ! battery gauge works! horn contact works I can hear a click sound when pressed ? I will check horn being froze up but the car has been in a garage since I owned it and everything is pretty clean..

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Look at the harness that you have. Does it have any labels on or near the connectors. Look at the metal tag on the firewall and write all the numbers down in order. Once you have all the numbers go here http://www.camaros.org/ ) to decode the tag. You find out if it had a console with or without gauges. Then you will know if you have the wrong harness. If it came with a console and gauges the console itself will have a harness that plugs into the dash harness in the area by the heater duct. This includes the fuel gauge. Usually when the fuel gauge was in the console the dash had a speedometer and tach. If it didn't have console gauges the dash came with the speedometer and fuel gauge. Each of these dashes came with the correct dash harness. Now where is your tach and fuel gauge located? You will need either one of the manuals: http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/lit-1.htm or http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/lit-250.htm http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19...e_p/lit-24.htm The first is an assembly manual and it has the wiring diagrams included and the next is just the cars wiring diagram. The last is the console wiring harness you will need to trouble shoot.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Oh sorry i probably didnt make it clear the dash pod has speedo and tach and the console definatly has the correct wire harness for gauge package my only question is i think someone years before i owned the car may have taken correct wire harness from firewall to distributor. Which may have had wiring for tach and i would like some to tell me what should i look for in wiring and colors. The car has all appropiate connectors that i see to be original
1) does the tach wire feed. 12 volts power to dash pod. And then to console? To power other accesories?

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

You have 2 wiring harnesses in the engine bay, the engine harness and the front light harness. The wiper motor, coil wiring is in the engine harness. A 20/white, orange, and purple resistor wire from ignition switch and a 20/yellow wire from the solenoid go to + side of coil. A 18/brown wire from tach and 20/distributor ground go - side of coil. For the wiper motor wiring you have a 12/LBL, 12/DBL and a +12/yellow which jumps over to washer pump. You would have to see the wiring diagram. I google the harness I want to see. You will definitely have to have a dash wiring diagram to troubleshoot the fuel gauge.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Ok the only white wire is a cloth covered going to coil . And i do not have a brown wire in the harness there is only a light brown going to brakes so i must assume this is the wrong harness ? And if it is ? Withh the correct harness should the fuel guage work ?

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 03:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

For the fuel gauge run the troubleshooter to determine if the issue is the sender, wiring, or gauge.By the end of the process you will know.

Tachometer is more then likely just the signal wire missing off the coil, or the tach is dead.

Troubleshooter stickies for fuel and tach:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184196

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

The tank and sending unit is brand new last year and it didnt have gas in till a few months ago and nothing then either.... never registered on guage When fuel was added since day one always pegged full i ran the test on it and it seems to check out with the ohms. As far as the tach no brown wire from what i can see going from harness at firewall. Yellow and resistence wire to positive side of coil and two black wires to negative side one from bottom of distributor. And other from noise suppressor. Attached to coil

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

ok found the sending unit was junk from day one ! I am getting new one Tuesday.. hopefully problem solved there ! now the tach ? no brown wire is in the wire harness at all... from firewall to coil ! but there is one inside the car going to PCB which goes to tach! my question is can I safely run a wire from negative side of coil to the brown wire just inside of firewall and not mess up anything or should I look for a new harness ?

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 09:44 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No you can run the lead one of two ways. Factory through the bulkhead connector - The 67 position is D-Z if I remember right, but I'll look it up for you later on. If you are correct it should match up with the fuse panel side you already found. The other option would be to run a new lead though any available hole in the fire wall and splice or replace the existing wire in the connector to your printed circuit.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Done ! New sending unit. Works now ! Tach new wire through firewall and spliced to tach wire works perfect. ! thank you all for the Insight and knowledge !!! Now to tackle the horn

67 RS/SS 350
68 SS350
69 X33D80
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 02:41 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Did you try the soak and wrap trick yet? - Take the horns off and squirt some WD40 into the bell and let it soak over night or a few days even, then drain it out and tap the horn with the butt end of a screwdriver. Then mount and test. Might just free it up for you, otherwise you can send them off to http://www.classiccarhorns.com/ to be rebuilt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode